Mold!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneralKayoss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Haven't had this problem with any of my other stacks, but the pecan I milled last weekend has these huge spots of what appears to be green mold on one end of the stack? The end away from the sun.

The wood was very wet when milled 45% mc, and I had to tarp it a couple of days this week because of rain. Tarp didn't cover the ends that well. And there's more rain coming all day tomorrow 😐IMG_20240308_180418134.jpg

Usually a combo of poor air flow and heavy moisture, plus latex painted ends still breathe a fair bit. Stays on the surface, don't really have to ever do a thing about it. Can wipe it off if it bothers you. Spraying bleach solution kills it but introduces more water for mold to grow on. Someone had good luck with spraying on boric acid solution, that roach powder mixed with water. It's a drying agent and doubles as a good protector against bugs

Usually a combo of poor air flow and heavy moisture, plus latex painted ends still breathe a fair bit. Stays on the surface, don't really have to ever do a thing about it. Can wipe it off if it bothers you. Spraying bleach solution kills it but introduces more water for mold to grow on. Someone had good luck with spraying on boric acid solution, that roach powder mixed with water. It's a drying agent and doubles as a good protector against bugs
It actually showed up right after I treated it with borax (should have used boric acid) and a couple rain days. Not all that worried about it, as I just slapped another layer of paint over the ends and sprayed what was left with a little bleach. All I had laying around was some old indoor paint so I slap 3-4 thick coats on

It actually showed up right after I treated it with borax (should have used boric acid) and a couple rain days. Not all that worried about it, as I just slapped another layer of paint over the ends and sprayed what was left with a little bleach. All I had laying around was some old indoor paint so I slap 3-4 thick coats on
That will drive the fungi and mold deeper into the wood looking for more sugar.

It ate the sugar up. Good deal.
Yeah I think it was the two days of rain we had after I cut the stuff, it was 45% mc when I cut it. I don't have shelters and it's windy here surrounded by fields, so I do this: tarps over shade tarps. The black shade tarp keeps the sun off the sides but still lets the air move. Helps stop blowing rain too IMG_20240322_084906442_HDR.jpg

Latest posts

Back