more firebricks a good idea?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
ok my shenandoah had a pretty huge firebox. that being said would it improve the stove or be worth it to add a row or firebricks above the existing ones? the stoves plenty tall and i easily have the room for another row of brick all the way around the stove. all id had to do is bend some brackets like the ones in there already and id just weld em in. good idea or waste or time?

Well if you add bricks you will make your firebox smaller...that means you can't load as much wood into it. Depends on if you need that extra space or not....

My question...why didn't the manufacturer do this? On any wood/coal stove, i have never seen firebrick the entire heighth of the sides/back. Is there a reason for this? Firebrick is cheap and the brackets would be nothing to add. I'd be curious to see how you make out if you decide to do it. I can't see any downsides except like cleanburn said, it would narrow your firebox.... but not that much.

Back