More Locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Locust borers eat the ever lovin crap out of cut locust here. My stacked locust weighed seemed half of what it should after setting in the Kansas sun all summer and the little borers did their work. There were piles of frass all over under the wood pile. (I elevate my wood piles a foot off the ground, bad termite problems in this river bottom soil).

I just cut down my first Locust Tree of my adult life. Honey Locust and man is that stuff hard. Really nice heart wood contrast to the sapwood.

Hopefully this stuff will season 2 or three years. I do have next years wood supply bucked and stacked. Still have to split it.

Does Locust have a better shelf life than Oak, if left in rounds?

Can't speak to Honey Locust but Black Locust is one of the most rot resistant woods around.

Harry K

Locust borers eat the ever lovin crap out of cut locust here. My stacked locust weighed seemed half of what it should after setting in the Kansas sun all summer and the little borers did their work. There were piles of frass all over under the wood pile. (I elevate my wood piles a foot off the ground, bad termite problems in this river bottom soil).

YIes to the weight loss but I believe the bugs you are referrign to only work on live trees. My woodpile also has that frass but it is only on/around stuff that was still live when I cut it. Cut a round today and an adult form came crawling up out of the kerf before I finished the cut.

Harry K

He's prob on another site telling people 'you ought to see this guy with that saw he uses. I'll have to help him with my Poulan get the rest of this stuff cut up'! jk lol

I'm beginning to wonder about him. Been a solid week and I only see signs of him being out there onece and that only to pick up what he had already cut. I am hoping that he isn't going to quit and leave me with the rest of it. Never thought I would say that I have had enough of 'wooding' for this year. Still have one tree left to go for my 'share'.

Harry K

Harry would love to come help, can never get enought cutting time.... bit far away thought! ;)

I can only hope that when I get to your age, I am still as full of energy and get up and go.

:clap: :clap:

Gas prices seem to have leveled out at $2.49 around here for the time being. That sure makes it easier here to go after more wood further from home.

Correction , make that still dropping. Now at $2.39 a gallon here. What gives ? Is the economy really that bad or are they just lulling us into a trap for the heating season ?

Harry, I hope he didn't get hurt or sick and hasn't made it back. It doesn't sound like you really wanted all of that wood from the last score. I'm sure you are getting quite a pile waiting to be split building up.

Maybe he got tired of watching you zipping through it and is waiting for you to pull out so he dosnt feel so bad. Keep cutting and work safe.

Gas prices seem to have leveled out at $2.49 around here for the time being. That sure makes it easier here to go after more wood further from home.

Correction , make that still dropping. Now at $2.39 a gallon here. What gives ? Is the economy really that bad or are they just lulling us into a trap for the heating season ?

Harry, I hope he didn't get hurt or sick and hasn't made it back. It doesn't sound like you really wanted all of that wood from the last score. I'm sure you are getting quite a pile waiting to be split building up.

Maybe he got tired of watching you zipping through it and is waiting for you to pull out so he dosnt feel so bad. Keep cutting and work safe.

Talked to him this morning. He was on the coast all weekend and plans to be out there tomorrow afternoon. I told him I would be out there in the morning cutting for him. I was out today and almost finished up my last tree then started on one for him. since I won't be loading, stacking brush, cleaning up, etc. I should be able to do the entire tree. I know the owner is gettting antsy about allthe stuff sstill out there. In the 'jackstraw' puzzle of down trees I think I counted 5 still there. Nice size too, all around 20 - 24" on main stem - very nice cutting.

He is rether handicapped as he has a full time job and can only work limited hours on the 'fun stuff'. I suspect he will be giving up after he does one more on his own with that little saw.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back