mould on air dried pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A radiarter (spelling?) pine was dropped behind my parents and I milled some up - can't beat free wood, even if it is the bottom of the pecking order. I put it in the shed I normally air dry timber in (got sycamore, oak, chestnut and yew in there now) about 8 months ago.

A couple of months ago, I noticed white/black mould building up on the surface. I pulled a board out and planed it up and sure enough it goes all the way through.

All the hardwoods are unaffected by it.

I'm using it for a darkroom bench, so don't care how it looks. I assume it is caused by too slow a drying, and don't really care about the looks and it still feels strong enough. But I can't seem to stop it even now it's inside/I'm working it. Is there a good fungicide for this sort of mould that is safe to use in the house? It doesn't seem to mind petrol...

I have some radiata pine that I milled several years ago and it has some blue streaks from fungus. it seems to be a bit more in the sap wood than the heart wood. There were a few boards I didn't have room for in the pile and they got stood up on end and they didn't have the streaks like the other stuff that I stacked and stickered in a horizontal pile. Not sure if those boards came from a part of the log that didn't have any fingus in it or if standing on end allowed more air to circulate around them.

I was given a 36" radiata yeasterday and will be milling it in a month or two to make some timbers for a future building project. I'm like you it will all be painted or used where it dosent matter but it would be nice to know how to control it.

Try spraying bleach & water solution on it before it's stickered.And make sure it gets plenti of air circulation.

Try spraying bleach & water solution on it before it's stickered.And make sure it gets plenti of air circulation.

+1
25% bleach water will kill the fungus and bring back some of the natural color of pine.
Around here there are a lot of old houses with board & batton siding. That fungus will turn the whole house black. Bleach water makes those old houses look almost new again. If the house is sealed after bleaching the fungus won't come back for quite a while.

Andy

Latest posts

Back