Moving OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have this OWB that I have mentioned several times in these forums that I had a few difficulties with last winter. Main difficulty being poorly insulated underground piping. I was planning on removing old lines and replacing with good lines but last weekend I came up with a new idea. Why not move OWB inside my garage. It will put the thing to within 15' of house plus eliminate those 1:00 am standing out in the cold blowing snow loadings.
ry%3D400

Lines currently run from OWB straight out to "where the dog is in the pic then turn and go into the house.
New way will go from corner of garage to corner of the house "behind gas grill in the pic"

Much less pipe.
Garage is unfinished workshop anyways so bark and debris doesn't matter.

Other than the POSSIBILITY of to much smoke in the garage I can't think of a reason to NOT do this.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why I might NOT want to do this?

Garage installains are generally forbidden

Due to insurance company.They prefer no open fire with gas cans, lawn mowers and such.
Is your unit home made or UL listed?
If it is home made and you move it inside the garage. I think you might as well just stop paying your home owners insurance.
I have Farm Bureau and my agent said I could put a stove in any room in the house. Except the garage. When I get ready to install my Yukon wood fired boiler in my Mechanical room.(the two new walls I added in the corner will make a new room within the garage.
Will make it all legal. You might consider the same.

Yes it's homemade. My insurance company pretty much has the same policies as the rest. (homemade is a no-no)
I guess I'm just willing to do it anyhow. I'm pretty certain that I can keep from burning the place down. I've been heating my shop with a homemade wood burner for years so I figured what the hell. May as well just go big.
Kinda like the saying.
"Why take the chance on going to jail for robbing a carryout when the bank is just a block away"
ry%3D400

Latest posts

Back