MS 192T Recall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NevadaWalrus

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just in case you have one and haven't yet heard. Below is the letter that Stihl will be sending registered saw owners.
---------------------------------
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE TO STIHL CUSTOMERS

September 1, 2005

Dear Customer:

In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, STIHL is recalling the chain saw model MS 192 T (manufactured between January 2005 and July 2005). These chain saws were sold throughout the United States by STIHL dealers and have serial numbers between 264371702 and 266087005.

THIS RECALL IS FOR SAFETY REASONS!

Specifically, it appears that under some circumstances, the following could occur: a fuel return line in the purge pump system may pull apart from a connector allowing fuel to escape; a connection in the ignition grounding system may loosen and create a spark; and/or the springs in the clutch assembly may come out of position, allowing a spring of the clutch to be projected from the saw housing. The above problems could result in injury to the user.

The model number MS 192 T is located on the starter cover shroud and the serial number can be seen by looking on the front of the machine on the top of the tank housing.

The following models are subject to this recall:

MS 192 T with serial numbers between:

264371702 and 266087005

Our records indicate that you purchased this product and therefore are subject to this recall. You should discontinue use of your unit immediately and take it to an authorized STIHL dealer. The dealer will make the necessary modifications to your unit at no cost to you. Your dealer has been instructed to replace the connector in the fuel system, replace the electrical connector in the ignition system and replace the clutch assembly.

If you need to locate your nearest dealer, consult the yellow pages under “SAWS” in your local phone book or call our Customer Service number: 1-800-610-6677, or consult our Dealer Locator on the World Wide Web at www.stihlusa.com.

If you have any questions regarding this recall or whether your chain saw is included in the recall, please call a STIHL representative at the above listed number.

Sincerely,

STIHL Incorporated

my boss just bought a few of these shtboxes they are seriously underpowered. ok for little pruning but thats it. you have to really baby this thing or it will fall apart

now that I'm hearing this stuff, I'm not so sure I want one of these 192Ts. maybe I'll just spring for an MS200T. just bigger and better.

stihl junk for now

i would make sure that you check the breather on the ms200t to make sure its up to date. i have two of them and they leak like hell. not all the time but every now and then the saw will leak gas out of the gas tank breather. i paid about $50 for the parts on this fix. what a rip. i buy two saws and both suck. you dont get what you pay for. stihl promised to fix this problem but never delivered. too bad everything i own says stihl.

J_Ashley said:
So I guess I shouldn't sell my MS170 for one of these?

Justin[/QUOTE
just get the updated one and you should be all set. there are a few new saws on the market that are half the price of the ms200t. and they are lighter too.

I own one of these saws ( actually I own about 6 of them) and took it to the dealer who informs me this is "fake news". There was never a recall. Has anyone actually had one of these saws verified as being defective? wolf

Back