MS 460, MS441, 372 XP or 576 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husqy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, first post on here. I'm based in the UK cutting mainly standing and wind thrown broad leaf, using 20", 24" and occasionally 28" bars.

At present I run a 357 (back up and limbing) and a 575 XP for felling and crosscutting. The 575 has been a good saw for me with no problems however I’m aware of the issues with them and wary of buying another and getting a bad one.

I’m after a second large saw and am torn between what to get, Is the 576 radically different to the 575 and should I consider it?

On paper I prefer the 460 but is the power difference noticeable over the 441 particularly with the larger bars. I’m working at low altitude and uk type temperatures so none of the strat engine altitude issues.

372 I’ve used before but I'm not that keen on them overall although I never had any issues.

Money isn’t an issue, but as I like to keep my saws reliability and cutting ability is. BTW, in the event of my 357 going down I like the agility of a 70cc saw so a 90cc saw isn’t really an option.

Hi folks, first post on here. I'm based in the UK cutting mainly standing and wind thrown broad leaf, using 20", 24" and occasionally 28" bars.

At present I run a 357 (back up and limbing) and a 575 XP for felling and crosscutting. The 575 has been a good saw for me with no problems however I’m aware of the issues with them and wary of buying another and getting a bad one.

I’m after a second large saw and am torn between what to get, Is the 576 radically different to the 575 and should I consider it?

On paper I prefer the 460 but is the power difference noticeable over the 441 particularly with the larger bars. I’m working at low altitude and uk type temperatures so none of the strat engine altitude issues.

372 I’ve used before but I'm not that keen on them overall although I never had any issues.

Money isn’t an issue, but as I like to keep my saws reliability and cutting ability is. BTW, in the event of my 357 going down I like the agility of a 70cc saw so a 90cc saw isn’t really an option.

I would stick with Husqvarna since you already have been running them. Skip the 575 and get the 576 if you want the newest technology, but you cannot go wrong with a 372.

If you want the most power, the MS460 has the most power of the saws you mentioned, but the 441 is right on its heels.

Last edited:
I would stick with Husqvarna since you already have been running them. Skip the 575 and get the 576 if you want the newest technology, but you cannot go wrong with a 372.

If you want the most power, the MS460 has the most p[ower of the saws you mentioned, and is a great saw.

Ditto.

I have the 575 that bucks up th big stuff with a 32" and have never had the slightest issue with it and another local service runs them as well. I think most of the issues were the saws made years ago, so I wouldn't be afraid to get another one, not in the least. I also use a 460 with a 25" that is an excellent saw as well. I personally like the 575 with the bigger bar because of the torque when taking out the big stuff. The 372 is a tried and true saw just like the 460, I think the bad rap on the 441 was like the 575, nobody likes change and they aren't a 440. As far as the 576 I would treat it like the original 575's, wait and see if they got it right the first time. Suggestion, if the 575 has been good to you get another, if not you can't go wrong with a 460 and either saw will easily pull all the bars you mentioned.

If you want to stay with Husqvarna, I'd go with a 372XP. Or, if you don't mind some extra weight for a lot more "grunt", a 385XP (or the red cousins 2171 and 2186). With the Stihl you could go either way, neither is less than a "great" saw! Did you consider a PS7900?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys.

Doug, Ive tried a PS7900 and in truth liked it a lot but the dealer suport sadly isnt local enough.

Ive not really considered the 385, 650 option, this may be a better route to go as I would then have a nicely spaced saw line up with extra power of the 85cc for long bars if needed. Food for thought.

If you have been happy with the 575xp, I can't see any reason to avoid the 576xp - more power and a tad less weight. It was tested for a long time before hitting the market.

I believe the MS460 will be a huge setback regarding vibes, air filtration, and fuel economy (if you care).

Last edited:
If you are use to Husky probably should go Husky, but between the 460 and the 441 I would get the 441. It is much smoother saw, much better gas mileage and what little difference in cutting time if you are cutting much bigger than say 18", will be measured in few seconds and that might add up to one or two minutes at the end of the day or maybe week. It simply is the cadillac of the current stihl lineup, of course modded it is even better.\

My opinion,

Sam

I believe the MS460 will be a huge setback regarding vibes, air filtration, and fuel economy (if you care).

A huge setback? Really? How much time do you have behind a 460? 100's of people carry the MS460 into the woods every day without any kind of huge setbacks. Plenty of posts and threads here and elsewhere tell that the MS460 is a saw with great power, nimble handling, and an effective air filtration system. Look to the results of the 2008 world logging championships for the effecttiveness of the 460.

Forget about the 385. The 390 is a better saw at the same weight. Same with the MS650. The MS660 is the same weight with more power, but now we are talking 90cc saws aren't we?

A huge setback? Really? How much time do you have behind a 460? 100's of people carry the MS460 into the woods every day without any kind of huge setbacks. Plenty of posts and threads here and elsewhere tell that the MS460 is a saw with great power, nimble handling, and an effective air filtration system. Look to the results of the 2008 world logging championships for the effecttiveness of the 460.

Forget about the 385. The 390 is a better saw at the same weight. Same with the MS650. The MS660 is the same weight with more power, but now we are talking 90cc saws aren't we?

+1

What a time to have an empty wand-o-rep.

Yep, if the 372 doesn't impress, try a 390.

Joat

I'd get a 390xp if I had any use for it, but the 372xp is already overkill here....:censored:

Niko,

Right on my spec spewing brother. Remember, overkill is not an obsession, it's a way of life.

My best to you and Witchy,

Joat

If you are use to Husky probably should go Husky, but between the 460 and the 441 I would get the 441. It is much smoother saw, much better gas mileage and what little difference in cutting time if you are cutting much bigger than say 18", will be measured in few seconds and that might add up to one or two minutes at the end of the day or maybe week. It simply is the cadillac of the current stihl lineup, of course modded it is even better.\

My opinion,

Sam

Get ready for Nails and dirty to tell you that you're wrong.:censored:

372xp, but it's the only saw I've ever ran out of your choices. I know it's not much help.

A 460 would definately be the best out of the 4 in my opinion. I know many men will disagree,and many, many, more will agree!:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back