MS250C chain tension issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micmacman

Reaction score
ive had this chainsaw for what has to be 15 years now , done nothing to it but bar and chain maintenance , mostly use it for fallen limbs , clearing brush and saplings , which is what i am doing now before everything leafs out , but it gets more play than the other 3 saws i have

i did a search and someone posted the exact issue i am experiencing , although he didnt fully communicate the issue and the help/suggestions didnt seem on point to me ,the replies were aimed towards the chain not tightening , ie the worn chain , bar comments , this is not the case , the saw i have has the tooless tensioner , i have zero issues getting the chain tension correct , the issue is it loses adjustment as soon as you start cutting , does not matter the load , either a log or a 1 inch sapling after 30 seconds the chain is sagging

im guessing my sprocket cover which contains the adjustment mech for chain tension is worn , like i said , its the original and i cut this saw no quarter , its been used often and hard and its been my favorite go to for what has to be 15 years , not big , not small , power , ease of start , and has been flawless in dependability , and again , i have never babied it , for instance , got the tractor stuck in mud one day , it was hung up on some roots , i had the bar buried in mud cutting the roots , pull out , dunk in the creek to clean and bac in the mudd , repeating until the roots were cut

the tension mech housed in the cover i would think also serves to retain tension during use , im thinking if its worn it may not be holding the tension anymore as it should be , nothing jumps out except some play in the retaining knob , no stripped teeth or anything blatantly obvious , im going to order one , but thought i would throw it out here and see what the group think on it lands on

Back