MS291 idle and compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a practically new MS271 the other day that was so lean you really couldn't use it all the way against the limiter.
I put it in a log outside the shop.
There is a reverse threaded screw driver type tool that you can remove those limiters with. Not sure how you would get your hands on one.
But, I opened up about a 1/4 turn and it ran fine. Made a few cuts with it . Out the door.
So, I think those saws are running on the edge out of the box.
Dull chains, iffy fuel. No wiggle room.

So, to me seems, 291 is a problematic saw. Funny, the day I bought it, the price difference between 261 was only around 100bucks but being not experienced, 55cc's seemed a lot more impressive than 50:)
I have several plans with the 291, first I change the inside of the carb and clean it, in case it's maybe just a carb problem. After that, I change to an older style piston, just to see what happens (I already have it and it's meteor with better quality). From what it seems, old style vs new style is just a clamp vs not clamp difference, internals of cylinder seems the same (excluding intake).
Third option is to sell it to parts which is not the best idea, since 291 is not popular here.

After that, I change to an older style piston, just to see what happens (I already have it and it's meteor with better quality). From what it seems, old style vs new style is just a clamp vs not clamp difference, internals of cylinder seems the same (excluding intake).

I, for one, will look forward to hearing how that goes.

Yes, too bad you left with the 291 and not the 261. I think it is rare that the two prices are so close.

From time to time, I run a 291 at work. It's heavy for the power...but, mostly, it's not a big deal. Starts when I pull the cord, spins when I pull the trigger. At work, over the years, I have also run clapped-out pro saws which stalled a lot....now, that is a big deal.

Roy

I had a practically new MS271 the other day that was so lean you really couldn't use it all the way against the limiter.
I put it in a log outside the shop.
There is a reverse threaded screw driver type tool that you can remove those limiters with. Not sure how you would get your hands on one.
But, I opened up about a 1/4 turn and it ran fine. Made a few cuts with it . Out the door.
So, I think those saws are running on the edge out of the box.
Dull chains, iffy fuel. No wiggle room.
The 291 I recently sold was very similar. Anything you did could lean it out and it was losing power due to the limiters. Now that being said, it ran fine and was in good shape but I personally was not a fan of how lean it was with the H all the way out. I guess they hope that homeowners blame themselves for a leaned out saw and not the EPA who is pushing the regs.

The 291 I recently sold was very similar. Anything you did could lean it out and it was losing power due to the limiters. Now that being said, it ran fine and was in good shape but I personally was not a fan of how lean it was with the H all the way out. I guess they hope that homeowners blame themselves for a leaned out saw and not the EPA who is pushing the regs.

I have seen guys drill a hole out at an angle to remove that latest model of limiter.
But really, if the saw is too lean it is going to score the cylinder. Just when.
My opinion for whatever it's worth, unless the EPA wants to replace your saw . **** them.

Back