Ms310 Leaning out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matheiu

Reaction score
I bought a used Ms310...if you run the saw on the high side it will continue to run but a lower speeds and especially at idle it quickly acts like it's running out of gas...you have to do one pull on choke and then 3 one high idle to get it to fire even after warming...i have replaced fuel filter, fuel line, and kitted the carb with no effect on the problem...any help would be greatly appreciated...

Does the saw have much time on it? Could be crank seals. When you put the carb kit in, did you spray cleaner and blow through all the small passageways? Could be a hunk of goo stuck somewhere. Was there a second rubber line running from the carb to the crankcase when you replaced the fuel hose? If so, you might replace that, too. Really sounds like an air leak somewhere, though.

I bought a used Ms310...if you run the saw on the high side it will continue to run but a lower speeds and especially at idle it quickly acts like it's running out of gas...you have to do one pull on choke and then 3 one high idle to get it to fire even after warming...i have replaced fuel filter, fuel line, and kitted the carb with no effect on the problem...any help would be greatly appreciated...

Hmmm no one has given you a hand here, terrible, shame on them,LOL

1st you need to answer a question. You say you bought the saw used. Now was this saw running fine when you bought it or has it just started acting up? Give some details from day one to now so we can determind whether someone sold you a screwed up saw.

Sorry Blue, seems he was left out to sea, thanks for stepping up to the plate!!

Last edited:
this saw has acted this way from the time i first fired it...it has been sitting in a cabinet for a few years but i would say it has plenty of time on it by the looks of it...probably unrelated but i'll lay it out here just in case it isn't, but it is also over oiling even with the adjustment al the way down??? but yes there is a hose going to the crankcase, which is what i'm gonna check next and i also saw on another site that the intake tube could be a culprit so i'll check it out too...i did spray cleaner through the carb ports and they did seem clear...i'm basically to the point i think it has to be a crank case pressure loss or low compression???

Sounds like you are on the right track. Impulse hose, intake or crank seals are likely causes if it's an air leak. If it's a leak, it sounds like it will be severe enough it should be pretty easy to find. Compression is easy enough to check. If you don't have a gage, you can just pop the muffler off and look at the piston/cylinder wall to get an idea of the overall condition. If all looks good inside, it's time to start chasing after air leaks. If the piston/cyl is OK and there are no apparent leaks I also wouldn't completely rule out the carb. I assume you're versed in carb adjustments and have adjusted the low speed to no avail, so I'll skip all that. But I've worked on a lot of stuff, and every once in awhile I'll miss something in a carb and don't catch it until the 2nd look (OK, sometimes maybe more than 2). On you're oiler, I'm affraid I can't help. Haven't done much with those - never had one fail, so I haven't played with one.

BTW - Welcome to AS! Hang around here awhile and you'll find a lot of info, but you'll also probably find yourself with more saws! And don't pay attention to all the bad things that get said about 290/310's around here. They really are good saws.
Regards,
Shane.

Back