MS441 missing screw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeasaburt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,

The Stihl MS441 (and a lot of other models too) has a double sided screw, or maybe bolt is the correct term, to hold the cylinder cover in place. One end goes in the top of the cylinder, the other one in the top cover, which has a 'hollow' bolt that fits on it.
I recently got my 441 almost for free, however someone replaced the cylinder (and piston, I think) with an aftermarket one, after the spark plug blew out of the oem cylinder. The previous owner mentioned the price of the cylinder, based on that I'm guessing it's a Meteor. The screw I mentioned is missing, I guess the guy who worked on the saw lost it or forgot about it. Or maybe it doesn't fit the AM cylinder, I have no idea.

I noted the screw is not listed in the Stihl IPL, which my local dealer confirmed. He was gonna ask Stihl about it, haven't heard anything though.

Does anyone know the 'official' name of this screw, or the dimensions/threads? Somewhere I could order it?

I ran the saw already with the cover loose, doesn't seem to rattle around too much but I'd obviously rather have it in place.

Thx in advance for any replies!

Ah, right, like a bar stud. Could have known, but hey, not a native speaker :) . Thx! Although most webshops around here obviously aren't in English, but rather Dutch, German, French... the correct term should be helpful in my search.

Funny, when I was searching online my search engine also showed this thread :) .

Anyway, reading here and there I found out it might be M5, and that I could cut a piece of a threaded rod and loctite it in place, so it hopefully won't move (seems like oem studs have a ring in the middle to hold them in place).

Gonna try with an M5 bolt later.

Ah, damn, had another look at my IPL, and it mentions that part too, with a part number. Guess I didn't check properly, and took the Stihl shop technician's word for it?
Thanks for pointing that out!

Latest posts

Back