Muffler Compatibility Stihl 361 and Stihl 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IH3444

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Will a Stihl 361 muffler directly bolt to a Stihl 362 without and modification? I want to get a spare muffler for my 362 and mod it, but all I can find is inexpensive 361 mufflers. My present 362 muffler is the single piece. It does not have the removable front section. I've read that the present 362 muffler is just a hollow can and the side hole with the screen is the restriction to the exhaust flow. Thanks for the recommendations and comments. Your ideas and input helped me greatly modifying the muffler for my 064. Thanks again for that.

It's not a direct bolt on. The 361 has a lower bolt support/hold down.

I have not tried to cut that off and try it. It might work, I'm sure someone will know.

I put a 362 muffler on my 361 for some testing only.
Not sure if it goes the other way but in any event the base will not be secure. The interior screws are the same to match the port opening. The base area is not on the outside mount.

You can make a 362/400 work on a 361 with a 034 muffler spacer. It also takes some fab work to make a bracket to use the front mount.
It's harder to make a 361 fit a 362
FWIW I have a spare 362 muffler that's never been used I might be willing to sell.

Thanks bwalker. I bought a 2-piece used one to modify for $40. Going to need heat paint after torch work anyway. I'll keep you in mind if this doesn't work out.

Got the used 2 pc muffler for the 362. I was wondering if I can reuse the exhaust gaket, or should I purchase a new one. I see some non OEM gaskets being offered on ebay from China and was wondering if these are OK to use? Thanks for all the good comments for both the 362 and the 064 muffler mods. The 064 muffler is done. I need to install it also.

Back