Muffler mod on 33cc Craftsman?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool85

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just won a 2.1 ci Craftsman chainsaw, looks like it's a Poulan 1950/2050/2150, not sure exactly which one yet. I got it to tinker on and I'm wondering if a muffler mod would be a good idea on such a small saw. Do they take well to it? I'm good at tuning 2 strokes, so I'm not worried about richening it up after, I just wonder if it'd be worth the bother or if I should just leave it be.

Here is the saw:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300159860336

yeah, it will help out. I have one similar to it. Although I must admit that I "Muffler Modded" it long before I found this site or even knew that Modding was in fashion. I took a large screwdriver and bent and tore at the little slits in the muffler until they were larger.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you just drilled a 1/2" hole in it?

I think it is a tube on each side.

bypass the primer bulb. Thats what a choke is for.

open up the muffler dumpout everything inside and pry open the slits for the outlet. Easy! or you can get more involve but this will never be a hotrod so find a good compromise for you exhaust.

I think it is a tube on each side.

bypass the primer bulb. Thats what a choke is for.

open up the muffler dumpout everything inside and pry open the slits for the outlet. Easy! or you can get more involve but this will never be a hotrod so find a good compromise for you exhaust.

I'll replace the primer bulb if I can get one for under $3, otherwise it'll get bypassed. I will be adding a chainbrake as I don't feel comfortable sawing without one and they are only $15-20. And as for your suggestion on the muffler, thats what I was planning on doing for a mod. How hard is it to open up a muffler like that? And do I have to weld/solder it shut after? I don't have a welder, I can solder though.

Do you think this 33cc saw w/muffler mod will cut similarly to my dad's stock 42cc wild thing? It's ok if it doesn't, for $32.49 (including shipping), this is a cheap saw! For right now I'll use it as my sled trail saw, I'll find a way to strap it onto my snowmobile and when I have a downed tree in the back forty I can clear it out. :chainsawguy: Later I may use something else and just keep this as a backup saw. I'm ok with having a saw collection :cheers:

I was thinking about doing that, too

Not too long ago, I picked up a Husky 36, with an Echo hard case for 40 bucks. The previous owner had messed up the tensioner, pushing it out of the clutch cover. The shop told her $100 to fix. I called around and found the covers, complete and new for 35, so I guess 65 for labor to take off the bar nuts? I cut a piece of 1/8" aluminum to fit the recess, holds the adjuster nicely (I'll take a pic later, I'm at work). Since the saw was basically free (Echo cases run 40 bucks around here, and it fits my other saws), I was thinking of gutting the muffler and seeing what this little saw had for get up and go. Nice clean unit, starts right up and runs well, just curious what it has the potential to become.

In looking at parts diagrams online it looks like every Poulan from 2050 up to 2375 has a pull apart muffler, which means this probably does too. :rockn:

Back