Multiple Issues with Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoxd

Reaction score
I have a White Oak that appears to have multiple issues. For the past two years the tree had a few galls and I wasn't too concerned. This year the number of leaf galls is significantly more. I'm beginning to think that maybe these are not actually galls. The "balls" are very hard and the consistency of a peanut.

Central Illinois had an extremely hot and dry summer and now I'm noticing whitish color on the backs of some leafs.

Sorry for the poor quality of the photo.

A) That is pin oak.
B) Those are leaf galls. Difficult, if not impossible to get complete control, and not necessary.
C) Like you said, not great picture quality, but it looks like Powdery mildew on the leaves. That is generally not a problem. If it persists, thinning the tree may help to improve air flow. Pin oak, can have an especially tight branching pattern.

What from here? There is nothing I am worried about based on that one photo of the leaves. Any tree, I'll recommend proper mulching. That is the cheapest, easiest, and often most effective thing you can do to improve the health of your tree. The wider the mulch ring the better.

Back