My brother got bit by a saw, hanging it up after 15+ years of logging...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chaps don't do a whole lot with a spinning chain. My brother took 31 stitches and was wearing them.

Ummmm.......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LwNTl61v9vI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LwNTl61v9vI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Pretty amazing that this is the first time he has had an incident with a saw. Was limbing a big oak with his 044 and moved up the tree and just bumped the tip of the bar on a limb and it kicked back, split his thigh open but thankfully didn't go deep at all. No chaps, idiot! Had to pull his jeans away from his leg and cut tissue/denim away from the wound in with some scissors. Not much there to stitch so he has just been applying liberal amounts of bacitracin and a bandage. Lucky but it scared him enough to start looking for a different job. He has an intervue with the new clean coal plant around Louisville, looks hopeful. The only other notable injury he suffered on the job was beaming himself in the mouth with a choker a few years back, split his lip all the way to his nose, nasty scar. Looks like he will be hanging it up and selling his share of the company to his partner. Kinda sucks because he really loved it but with a wifey and a kid he needs something more stable. Some of you guys may have heard of them, Eagle Timber Management, used to be out of Seymour Indiana, now Deputy. Be careful out there!

Scott
does he want to sell his saw?!? :cheers:

He is selling out to his partner who is keeping all the equiptment and most of his saws are pretty much beat. They don't believe in maintenance and it amazes me that he has old style Stihls that "Stihl" run.

Scott

You'd be half asleep to let your saw cut into your flesh with finger still full on the trigger but chaps always save your ass eventually even if it's just stopping the dogs digging in to your thigh, 99% of accidents are just close shaves, if the saw was hard-out like in that vid you'd be copping a wicked kick-back where it's completely your own fault, nothing to do with wearing or not wearing chaps, or else a log or some damn thing is falling on top of you, other than that, you'd have to be in cuckoo land and away with the fairies to let the saw bite that hard

why I bought chaps

If you notice my avatar I'm wearing Stihl chaps. I bought them just after a small thigh tap with the 044. I was dropping a big green cedar. When it started to go, I moved out of the way quickly. To quick I guess. Small thigh tap with finger off of trigger. Small wound but uuuggly. Put on a tight bandade and kept a goin'. Pants went in the trash. Since I always cut alone, I think chaps are now a must.

Back