My NEW Poulan 330 Experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yes, i went out and bought one, and i thought i'd give you my first impressions.

I opened the box, and put the bar/chain on... Like everyone else, i wish it had come with a shorter bar and pro chain.

I really don't like where the bar spike is on this saw, :mad: it's right in the way of adjusting the chain! Anyway, i put some bar oil in it, and Husky oil /premium gas mix in it, and it took 10 pulls to get it fired up. First thing i noticed is, it's a pretty quiet saw, and i like that.

Once it was running, it bogged a lot coming off idle, but once warmed up it got a little better. High speed, it ran very good, so i ran it no load for several minutes, and shut it off. After 10 minutes i started it up (one pull) and ran it no load a bit more, and then made some easy cuts with it.

After several easy cuts i let it go back to an idle, and the motor idles up and down, up and down. It's not really big deal, but it is annoying, when none of my other saws don't do that.

After several more cuts, it was apparent that the bogging wasn't going away, so i adjusted the L out a little bit, and the bogging went away, but the idle went up quite a bit, so i adjusted that too.

One thing i noticed is, it sure puts out a lot of bar oil, i guess that's better than not enough! Also, when it idles, it keeps pumping oil out, and when you hit the throttle, a load of oil flies off the bar.

I do have a stock Husky 55 with a 3/8 - 20" bar, so i'll do a comparison tomorrow of it side by side to the 330. Yes, i know the 330 is new, and will make more power after a few tanks of fuel.

For "feel" i do like the Husky better...

I'll run them both tomorrow, and post more...

Rob

Today i decided to test my new 330 against my older stock Husky 55, and here they are,

orig.jpg

I had a cunk of maple by the sawmill, to i rolled it on my pallet forks, and grappled it.

orig.jpg

I warmed up both saws, and changed off cutting disk after disk. No matter how you cut it, for power, the 330 blows away the 55. BUT, that's not the whole story!

orig.jpg

When i bought the 330 at TSC, a guy i know there told me "if" it didn't run like i thought it should, i could bring it back! And, after cutting all the disc's, i was ready to put it back in the box and do just that! I had to adjust the low speed, then the idle, and then after the saw got good and warmed up, it would idle too fast, or maybe it would stall after idleing a while! ANNOYING!!!

Now, my 55 starts right up, idles fine, and does all i ask, cut after cut! And, i don't have to fiddle with anything! So, as far as i was concerned, why have a saw around i have to put up with idleing and stalling "issues"?

After i made "that" decision, i figured seeing i was running the bandmill today, i'd just use the saw around the mill until it ran out of gas! And as the day went on, i liked the extra power of the 330, and apreciated the saw more. It even started running a "little" better, so that leads me to believe that after a few more tanks of gas, it just may straighten itself out.

So, here's the two saws again,

orig.jpg

And, i'm going to use the 330 again before i give up on it, because if the "issues" go away, it will be one hell of a saw for $200 bucks!

Rob

the idle issue sounds like you need to work on the tune a bit more.

See this review CLIFF. The 330 blows the 55 away, how can that be after all of your reviews saying the opposite.:cheers:

See this review CLIFF. The 330 blows the 55 away, how can that be after all of your reviews saying the opposite.:cheers:

Cliff has the closed port model of the 55 which makes quite a bit more power than the open port like I have that is kind of gutless for 53cc. If Robs 55 has a 3/8 chain on it would cut a lot faster if he switched to .325. Steve

Cliff has the closed port model of the 55 which makes quite a bit more power than the open port like I have that is kind of gutless for 53cc. If Robs 55 has a 3/8 chain on it would cut a lot faster if he switched to .325. Steve

And what will happen if i put a .325 on the 330 too?

I really like my 55, if i had to choose only one of them to keep, i'd pick the 55 over the 330. But, in "my" test, the 330 had more power.

When i get some time, i'll touch up the chain on both, and try them again...

Rob

And what will happen if i put a .325 on the 330 too?

I really like my 55, if i had to choose only one of them to keep, i'd pick the 55 over the 330. But, in "my" test, the 330 had more power.

When i get some time, i'll touch up the chain on both, and try them again...

Rob

With the 330 having more power it might be on the borderline where .325 and 3/8 wouldn't make a lot of difference. If you have the open port 55 try a .325 setup. You'll think you got a new saw. Steve

With the 330 having more power it might be on the borderline where .325 and 3/8 wouldn't make a lot of difference. If you have the open port 55 try a .325 setup. You'll think you got a new saw. Steve

For "me", there's no need, as i never complained about the power the 55 has in the first place. I like my 55, but i was just relateing my experience with the 330.

Rob

I think I'd check for an air leak before I ran it anymore. Sounds like a lean seize about to happen.
Check carb mounting and cylinder base bolts to make sure their tight.

Back