My Oak's back

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmall Guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My buddy called yesterday telling me that he had my flooring all milled up, he droped it off yesterday. I must say I'm real happy with how this turned out and I cant wait to see how it looks on the floor once I get it finished (and the house up)
steamshow08001.jpg

He figured theres about 2000 feet here sawed 1" thick, several nice pieces 12-16" wide and clear :)# Not bad for a tree that blew over and was going to be left to rot.
StihlSaws016.jpg

He still hasnt got the 2 butt logs cut up yet, I need to go over and rip them for him so they'll fit on the mill
OakBlowDown001.jpg

When I started on this I never figured that I'd be getting this much lumber out of this tree, I was just looking for an excuse to cut some wood back in febuary, 3 months and a MS880 added to the line up and here it is.

I think I'm going to have part of the but log milled into 2X10 for stair treads and also a 10X10" post for a center support post in my living room, The rest will get turned into 1Xs for flooring so I'll have a little extra to select the best from for the house. All in all I think it was well worth the time and money invested

Holy cow, that's a nice stash of lumber. I'm jealous.:jawdrop:

What's not to like about salvaging blow downs that would otherwise rot ? That's my kind of logging.

You may want to have him mill you some more stickers while you are at it, or that wood will move on you. 12”-16” apart is a good spacing. Note how the bottom boards in both stacks are bowing from the weight of the stack not transferring straight down to the 4x4’s underneath that will only get worse with time. I know it sounds like a lot of extra work to restack all that wood, but if it was mine I would make every effort to restack it as soon as possible. Some people tell me I am a bit anal about my sticker placement, but I reap the rewards for the extra effort when the wood is dry and ready to use. I just hate to make firewood out of good lumber.

MORE STICKERS!!! If you want that for flooring, 16 inches for spacing too. Move the whole pile to get it on some footing thats the same spacing as the stickers. Just me, but I don't use green freshsawn ones. They'll leave a strip of mold across every board, some of which won't plane out.
L2.jpg
In this pile, it's 2 ft on center. Barn siding & roof boards.

Thanks for the comments and tips, more stickers are on the way. He delivered the stacks like this and we picked them off with my backhoe. Told me these piles were at about 20% moisture, and that I should leave them out in the sun for a couple weeks then move them inside. They'll probaly get moved before the end of the weekend as mom wasnt to thrilled with the stacks parked in front of the garage :dizzy:

This is the first rough cut I've delt with, just trying to salvage what was already down. I'm not really sure how long it will need to dry before its ready to lay as flooring. The house that its going in isnt even strated yet so its going to be toward the end of the summer before I'm ready for a floor, but if I have to wait longer I'll make due until this is ready.

Latest posts

Back