My Stove needs air?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Found out the hard way that my basement is air tight. when I fire up my stove it starts off without a problem. After about 30-45 minutes the fire dies out and the stove sucks air back down the chimney and smokes up the house. If I crack open the basement door the fire takes off and runs fine.
How do I solve this problem. Poured concrete basement, no windows and one walkout french door. I am now keeping the 1st floor basement door open and a window near it cracked open to get air to the stove.

Maybe the best way is to pay somebody to cut a 3-4 inch hole in the wall and duct air to the stove. You could also rent a core drill and cut the hole yourself.

it would be easier going to cut a hole in the band joist between the foundation and the first floor, as long as you don't have a brick veneer.

I managed to punch a 4'' hole from the back of my fireplace through the firebrick, 2 layers of metal, and the concrete block. I ran a 4'' stove pipe and can cap it.

Last edited:
... cut a 3-4 inch hole in the wall and duct air to the stove..

+1 on that. cold air draft is the way to go. colder air is denser, therefore more oxygen per volume. also you arent wasting heated air from the room to oxygenate the fire, that eventually ends up going up the chimney.

ive seen a guy include a piped cold air intake into the masonry of his fireplace including a valve to close it off when need be. i think it was a 4" pipe.

I bought a cold air vent from some company in Canada for that exact purpose. It mounted right against the house and I sided around it. It was about $40. I ran the 4" pipe right up beside the air intake of the stove. The only time I notice having trouble is when the dryer is running along with the bathroom fan and I am burning the stove. Kind of maxes out the air intake.

This unit I bought had a filter on it so bugs and crap can't get into the house. I ran it through the band joist. I found it by doing a google search, so it shouldn't be hard to find again.

The exterior vent is the way to go. Also, depending on your area, it could help to reduce radon issues as an added bonus.

Thanks for the help,
The vent kit through the joist seems like the way to go. I have a radon pump in my basement so I do not want to drill any holes in my floor.

Definitely don't go through the floor. Did not mean to suggest or imply that.

Radon issues increase during the heating season, as the lower pressure within the house as a result of the chimney helps to induce soil gas flow into the home (air flows from high pressure to low pressure). Radon systems create a pressure differential that the radon does not cross. If the pressure in the house decreases, it can reduce the effectiveness of the radon system. If you did not have a radon system, operating without a vent would definitely cause more soil gas migration into the home, FWIW.

I have a wood furnace similar to the Hot Blast. When the stove temp reaches 180 the blowers kick on. I do not have central air or heat, just EBB heat when the wood furnace is not in use.

Sounds like you got good answers . i guess that why you always see a cold
air intake around old gas hot water heaters.

Definitely don't go through the floor. Did not mean to suggest or imply that.

Radon issues increase during the heating season, as the lower pressure within the house as a result of the chimney helps to induce soil gas flow into the home (air flows from high pressure to low pressure). Radon systems create a pressure differential that the radon does not cross. If the pressure in the house decreases, it can reduce the effectiveness of the radon system. If you did not have a radon system, operating without a vent would definitely cause more soil gas migration into the home, FWIW.

Weird, I have found the exact opposite. My radon level has dropped from an average of .6 (for six months) to .2 (for three weeks) since I have been using my woodstove. I installed my own radon system (sub slab depressurization) this summer. Just could not bring myself to pay a "licensed" radon guy 1500$ to run a pipe and fan. Only cost me 300 to do it myself.

outside air

Outside air will help on humidity as well, When you feed a stove with indoor air the air gets replaced with infiltrated air. Hard to maintain humidity with air changing. Vent the electric clothes dryer inside in the winter too, heat and humidity gain, plus a little lint.

I sized my fireplace intake to match the kits for other brands at Lowes. Ho wbig is your wood burner? My gas furnace requires 40 sqin free area.

I should get the radon level rechecked in my basement. The high radon level was discovered prior to purchasing the house back in Feb 08. The seller paid to have all radon reduction work done. The level was over 7pk before the radon pump was installed, it was checked by two labs after and found to be less then 1pk. I've been dragging my feet because the testing costs $175 bucks per test.
As to my stove size, it is a Johnson wood burning furnace (now called Hot Blast) firebox is about 22" wide 28" deep 25" high. Anybody know how much air that would need????

I should get the radon level rechecked in my basement. The high radon level was discovered prior to purchasing the house back in Feb 08. The seller paid to have all radon reduction work done. The level was over 7pk before the radon pump was installed, it was checked by two labs after and found to be less then 1pk. I've been dragging my feet because the testing costs $175 bucks per test.
As to my stove size, it is a Johnson wood burning furnace (now called Hot Blast) firebox is about 22" wide 28" deep 25" high. Anybody know how much air that would need????

What a rip!!! Get a continous monitor for only 120 bucks here...

http://www.radon.biz/proseriesiiiradonmonitor.aspx

I have one and it works like a champ...

Thanks iowawoodcutter,
I never knew this type of device was sold. Can you believe the company who installed my radon reduction system did not suggest I have one of these put in my basement. I may be wrong but it seems like they are out to make some CASH. I'll order a tester ASAP. Thanks again

Thanks iowawoodcutter,
I did not know these were sold. You would think somewhere along the line someone from the radon reduction company would have suggested this device. I may be wrong but seems like they are out for some quick retesting cash. Thanks again I'll order one ASAP.

Thanks iowawoodcutter,
I did not know these were sold. You would think somewhere along the line someone from the radon reduction company would have suggested this device. I may be wrong but seems like they are out for some quick retesting cash. Thanks again I'll order one ASAP.

no doubt especially since you can go buy two tests at home depot for 9.99 and send them away for results. Total cost is about 40-50 if I remember right.

Latest posts

Back