My Tablesaw/Bandsaw Resawing jig

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job brad. I can imagine the wheels turning for those viewing this thread, as mine are. It only leads to more ideas and further refinement. Brad I work around alot of industrial equipment and many of the tools use flat belts of varying widths and lengths. The pulleys are often aluminum with setscrews and the belt bottoms have square ribs for positive drive. This configuration would yield a very light, compact, and precise adjuster but buying the pieces new would be pricey. We demo out equipment all the time at my company and if it can't be sold, it gets scrapped to the recyclers. I'm wishing now I'd been harvesting these items all along.
:cheers:

Good job brad. I can imagine the wheels turning for those viewing this thread, as mine are. It only leads to more ideas and further refinement. Brad I work around alot of industrial equipment and many of the tools use flat belts of varying widths and lengths. The pulleys are often aluminum with setscrews and the belt bottoms have square ribs for positive drive. This configuration would yield a very light, compact, and precise adjuster but buying the pieces new would be pricey. We demo out equipment all the time at my company and if it can't be sold, it gets scrapped to the recyclers. I'm wishing now I'd been harvesting these items all along.
:cheers:

Yeah we have drive components like that in the fingerjoint line at the mill, though being aluminum they're pretty much hosed by the time they get scrapped and are extremely costly to replace. I'm allowed to take anything I like out of the scrap steel bin, but I'm all done working there as of Feb. 26th (damn economy) so I better get while the gettin's good I guess.

Pretty much my entire working life so far (~10 years) has been spent in mills or around wood in some fashion, so I've been fortunate to have a lot of experience with stuff like this. I just try to take what works at the mill and adapt/shrink it down to something that's practical for me. Add to that my personal tendency to build something rather than buy it (ya don't learn anything doing it the easy way!) even if it costs a bit more in the end.

I continue to be impressed with the ingenuity on this forum. In a post apocalypse world, I want you guys as neighbors.

Too bad we're on opposite sides of the continent! Though I'm originally from Oshawa, just east of Toronto, and who knows may end up there again some day. But I much prefer the mountains & big trees!

Brad,

The problem you described - the blade pulling away - is called drift. You will need to incorporate a way for your jig to put the piece through the blade at an angle.

The easiest way to determine the drift angle (different for each blade) is to draw a line down the center of a 1" x 3" tall board (line on the 1" face) and cut it carefully freehand. Stop once you've cut through half of the board's length. The angle the board is at relative to the miter slot is the drift angle.

Once you setup your fence/jig to cut at the drift angle the saw will cut well.

Ted

Thanks Ted. I only had that problem with the 1/2" blade I had, the 3/4" cuts straight as an arrow every time so far, without any compensation at all. I'm pretty sure the 1/2" was getting dull because even freehand it took considerably more force to push a piece through the saw. The only problem I'm having setting up the saw now is that the blade doesn't want to track back as far as it should on the bottom wheel - the teeth are sticking out past the outside rim of the wheel and I've had to make some other adjustments to keep them from contacting things they shouldn't. The wheels are aligned (checked with a 4' level) so I'm not sure what's up. Cuts fine though.

The only problem I'm having setting up the saw now is that the blade doesn't want to track back as far as it should on the bottom wheel - the teeth are sticking out past the outside rim of the wheel and I've had to make some other adjustments to keep them from contacting things they shouldn't. The wheels are aligned (checked with a 4' level) so I'm not sure what's up. Cuts fine though.

Sometimes that sort of problem is caused by worn tires. Are your tires in good shape?

Latest posts

Back