Need help adjusting carb on 5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasperjb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been trying to set the carb on my 5100 and not sure if doing it correctly. The saw is new but I have put a few tankfuls through it allready. The H screw was set from the factory turned all the way to the left against the stop. At that setting the tach read MAX 11,600 give or take. The saw claims to run at 14,500 so I adjusted the H until I got a MAX of 14,338 which is all the way to the right against the stop. Now throughout all the adjusting weather it be way left or way right I could never get the tack to hold very constant. I have a DTI Tech-Tak 20k which has the MAX RPM feature so that is where I am getting the readings from. Do I use these MAX readings as my guide for setting the RPM? IS it normal for a saw to come stock set so low and then be able to get that much gain out of it after breakin? Any other suggestions on tuning this saw? All your help is much appreciated as always. Thanks, John

What I know, is that Witchys 5100S was at 14200 when it arrived from Scott & Steve. It was at 14280 the last time I checked, after about 6 tanks - and probably will be pretty close to 14500 after 20 tanks or so, according to Scott.....

11600 is wayyy low - are you sure that tach reads right???

Last edited:
Well, I am assuming it is because I tached my echo 346 and it was right at 11,800 and the manufacturer says 12,000 but thats all I have to go off of.

Also when i bought the saw it was taken out of the box, b&c put on and handed to me. That might be the reason for the low rpm. Not set up by dealer?

My 5100 ran like 11,500 when new when cold,but warmed up to closer to 14k. But I am not sure it is a good example, because it seemed to get leaner and leaner, to where I could not adjust it down off the limiter at all. Scott's guys are taking a look at it to see what gives.

I don't have a real point, other than to express my concern for any modern saw that needs to be adjusted all the way lean. Scares me, and I would richen it back off the stops while I figured it out. Plus the limiter can give funny readings when running too fast. I'd be real careful.

Yea, I think I richening it off the stop is probably a good idea till i get some answers.

5100 intake issues

I had mine back to the dealer a couple of times.. The carb flange is rather finicky. But we finally got her sealed.. She cuts like a banshee.

I have been trying to set the carb on my 5100 and not sure if doing it correctly. The saw is new but I have put a few tankfuls through it allready. The H screw was set from the factory turned all the way to the left against the stop. At that setting the tach read MAX 11,600 give or take. The saw claims to run at 14,500 so I adjusted the H until I got a MAX of 14,338 which is all the way to the right against the stop. Now throughout all the adjusting weather it be way left or way right I could never get the tack to hold very constant. I have a DTI Tech-Tak 20k which has the MAX RPM feature so that is where I am getting the readings from. Do I use these MAX readings as my guide for setting the RPM? IS it normal for a saw to come stock set so low and then be able to get that much gain out of it after breakin? Any other suggestions on tuning this saw? All your help is much appreciated as always. Thanks, John

Still need some help from the "Mad Chainsaw Scientists" on here. Thanks again guys.

Back