Need Help/Advice Identifying old chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SargesTree

SargesTree

ArboristSite Lurker
Hi, I posted in another section before realizing this section is here (I'm new to the site). I am looking at an old tow behind chipper, which I can get cheap, & it runs & the drum turns. The problem is that I have no idea what brand it is. It somewhat resembles the set up of an A******h whisper chipper, with obvious differences in it, but set up is similiar. It has a 6" capacity, ford 6cyl inline gas engine. I can't see any data labels or anything due to all the paint so if there is anything with brand info there, it's painted over & unreadable. What it needs is the blower fan, and most likely new knife blades. I'm concerned that I won't be able to find a fan or replacement blades for it, which would make buying it pointless in my opinion. It's at a scrap yard & the guy wants $1000 for it, which isn't much for a chipper, but if I can't easily fix it I don't want to throw the money away. I'm pretty crafty & resourceful, but don't have tons of knowledge on these things. If anyone knows what it is & where I would look for parts or how much it might cost to get a fan & blades I would appreciate it. Or maybe someone has some crafty suggestions to fix it? Here's a couple of pics of it. I'm not oozing with $ so that's why I'm looking at this thing. Thanks!

SargesTree

SargesTree

ArboristSite Lurker
I just went & started it up & did find a data plate! It's an MB model TWC-6. Anyone know anything about it like if I can get a blower fan or graft something up & make it work?

TRISTATEFORESTRYEQUIPMENT

TRISTATEFORESTRYEQUIPMENT

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
that thing is a dinosaur , belongs in the scrap yard. i understand your not oozing with money but come on. you can buy a good condition, 12 inch chuck n duck witch parts are still available for for around 5000 bucks. good luck

SargesTree

SargesTree

ArboristSite Lurker
Lol it definitely looks like one, but don't let the paint fool you. It actually is tight everywhere and I used to be an A rate Diesel mechanic for years before becoming an engineer, so I know engines & mechanics. I just wanted to get some weigh in because I'm not a blower expert, but I think it will be cool to have it just for the nostalgia factor. I do realize I'll get another chipper to really work with, but I like to have little projects to tinker around with too. I'll see what I can get it for and if I can make it work well for the sake of keeping it alive, without sinking much money into it....

CalTreeEquip

CalTreeEquip

ArboristSite Guru
scrap price

If your have to pay for it, don't pay anymore then scrap value, maybe $300. I have seen and sold a lot of chippers over the years but I have never seen one like that and i have never heard of that company. Chances are good you'll never get the blades out and if you did you probably can't find replacements. I have never even seen an in-feed or drum like that so it's not even a copy of something common. Your better off waiting around for an old Asplundh chipper. Start going to auctions, you'll find a runner for $1000 or 2.