need help after husky 359 cat muffler swap.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I just swapped out muffler with Baily's non cat muffler, re-used a good looking gasket, very straightforward.

I took a hot utility knife to the needle screw covers. Must be glass fiber nylon, cause it's not melting. Super cooked the blade tips near white hot. Anyhoo, that plastic would NOT budge unless pressed upon, which I, of course, did.

Not pressed super hard, but the carb mounting rubbers were notably extended.

Otherwise, no unusual things came up, very straightforward mechanical install.

Backed up the needles a single turn, engine's warm and smoky-choky and slow at WOT. In 1/16 turn increments, I advanced the high speed neddle until the sound cleaned up smooth and strong.....should be too lean, so backed it out until a bit so a little bit off roughness to it, within my 3 second WOT....spins up great, idles great.

Hit any resistence due to chain actually cutting, bogs way down WOT chain stopping it with minimal pressure on blade. Saw is stopped so adjust rich until each increment nearly kills motor to fully define a wide range of mixture that the motor will function in, and continually incrementing to a happy middle-ground while maintaing load....still NO power.....DOH!:chainsawguy: :blob5:

Can think of only two things, maybe I tore the intake boot between the carb and engine. (But everything appears intact) or a non-sealing muffler gasket (no immediately obvious exhaust leak noted).

Very frustrated after having a tremendous saw reduces to nothing over such an easy install.

help???:bowdown:

After deleting a premature reply...I apologize. I've really only just now beginning to realize my mistake, as I was looking for saw advice in the firewood and equipment forum. I will re-post and my apologies to all involved...

i only recommended that because that section has alot of guys who know their stuff when it comes to chainsaws and you'll most likely get a quicker response.

Latest posts

Back