Need help identifying borer found while splitting Elm (w/pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afton_Service

Reaction score
I own a bucket truck, I heat with wood, so I get allot of "free firwood". Anyhow, yesterday, Im splitting elm, and dead center in two 12" logs, I find these two identical, "insects", Im guessing they are larvae, via google images, and google searches, I come up empty handed.

Was hoping someone could ID these for me. I need to know if I need to burn this firewood now, to get rid of the pest, or are they "benign" ? My biggest concern, after I split my wood, I store it in an "old school" corn crib, which makes for great firwood storage, but is also made of wood, and Im not looking to infest the "crib" with some wood eating insect.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks, Bill

06-19-2012 004 by fourmpics, on Flickr

06-19-2012 002 by fourmpics, on Flickr

06-19-2012 003 by fourmpics, on Flickr

My guess would be a Horntail wood boring wasp, your crib is safe. Hard to tell the size of the insect, when taking pics throw in a coin or something.

Thanks Raintree, for the info, yes, something for scale would have been a good idea. I saved both, in a baggie, they are about 1.5" long and .25" in diameter. I just measured them.

Latest posts

Back