Need help repairing bucket truck!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasArborist

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've got a 95 hi ranger 55' truck that has been extremely reliable. This past fall it started developing 2 problems with the boom that now has now caused me to park the truck for safety concerns. I have had terex come out to look and they're cost to fix is close to what I could purchase another truck for. So issue number 1, I am starting to develop a bit of slack in my turn table. It is only an inch or so of actual "play", but when extended out or up more than 15 or 20 feet this turns into a foot or two of swing. If the truck is unlevel in the least, or the wind is blowing, it makes for a scary ride!
Problem number 2, there is a large cylinder inside the lower boom that pulls the cables to raise the upper boom. This cylinder had developed a small leak. I thought this would be an easy fix, just having the cylinder repacked or replaced if needed. The problem is that it looks as if the entire boom would almost need to be completely taken apart just to remove it.

Like I mentioned, terex did inspect it. They quoted $4000 to fix the cylinder, and could not quote me on fixing the turn table until it was taken apart. I personally am very mechanically inclined and do not mind trying to fix these issues as a close friend owns a hydraulic/equipment repair shop and has offered to assist, although he is not extremely familiar with bucket trucks.

Has anyone else experienced either of these problems? The cylinder repair seems pretty straight forward, but as far as the turn table, I personally would be entering into new territory. And yes I do understand if not done correctly the results could be very dangerous. I do not mind spending the money to fix it, but there comes a point where a new truck could be purchased instead and I am trying to avoid that as this is and has been a very good truck. Any info is much appreciated.

Hi guys. I've got a 95 hi ranger 55' truck that has been extremely reliable. This past fall it started developing 2 problems with the boom that now has now caused me to park the truck for safety concerns. I have had terex come out to look and they're cost to fix is close to what I could purchase another truck for. So issue number 1, I am starting to develop a bit of slack in my turn table. It is only an inch or so of actual "play", but when extended out or up more than 15 or 20 feet this turns into a foot or two of swing. If the truck is unlevel in the least, or the wind is blowing, it makes for a scary ride!
Problem number 2, there is a large cylinder inside the lower boom that pulls the cables to raise the upper boom. This cylinder had developed a small leak. I thought this would be an easy fix, just having the cylinder repacked or replaced if needed. The problem is that it looks as if the entire boom would almost need to be completely taken apart just to remove it.

Like I mentioned, terex did inspect it. They quoted $4000 to fix the cylinder, and could not quote me on fixing the turn table until it was taken apart. I personally am very mechanically inclined and do not mind trying to fix these issues as a close friend owns a hydraulic/equipment repair shop and has offered to assist, although he is not extremely familiar with bucket trucks.

Has anyone else experienced either of these problems? The cylinder repair seems pretty straight forward, but as far as the turn table, I personally would be entering into new territory. And yes I do understand if not done correctly the results could be very dangerous. I do not mind spending the money to fix it, but there comes a point where a new truck could be purchased instead and I am trying to avoid that as this is and has been a very good truck. Any info is much appreciated.
Did you purchase a new truck? The turn table, if run by a chain could just be a stretched chain or a damaged bearing causing the chain, if applicable, to loosen.

Back