Need Help - Stihl 044 questions!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sn0wy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have some questions as I have just bought a very molested Stihl 044 which I will be rebuilding/replacing most parts. My questions are as follows;

1. The saw is what looks like a early model Stihl 044 WITHOUT a decomp valve, as I would like to replace the piston, cylinder etc, can I replace the cylinder WITH a decomp valve as I seem to see they are online more so than the type without? I assume there is no major problem with this? and it will be good as I can replace with new covers etc.

2. How can I tell if I have the 12mm or 10mm wrist pin style?, is it just buy looking at the cylinder fins?

3. I noticed that there is a 52mm and 50mm piston size, I assume they made different sizes here?

4. Is there anything that is notorious about these saws? as in things I should double check that are common problems?

5. If i was to replace the piston and cylinder with a big bore kit, are there any brand suggestions here? Do i need to replace the crank as well?

Any feedback before I get started would be great.

Cheers guys

What's the SN of your saw?

Im actually not sure where it is?, if its located on the crank case near the bar cover then its been damaged to the point you cannot see it, as mentioned this thing is pritty molested...

upload_2016-6-17_10-57-17.png

There's a flat boss with no paint on it, dead center of your pic. That's the serial stamping. If there are no numbers, then it may have been replaced with a new crankcase half.
They come sans serial numbers.

What's the SN of your saw?

Thanks for the reply's everyone, but the serial number is non existent where you suggested, nothing is on there. However I was told by another source that it is located here??? this part has been completely rubbed off...so who knows???

on another note I took the covers off to see what type of fins the cylinder has and its below? any ideas what wrist pin this maybe before I take the cylinder off??.

upload_2016-6-22_8-52-21.png

upload_2016-6-22_8-54-43.jpeg

Don't worry about the decomp. Only way to tell 10 or 12 at this point is take it apart. With a factory jug for an 044 it will be 50mm but again you will have to measure and verify because people swap parts. From the pics it does have an OEM jug and if it's good will be better than most all of the aftermarket options. Aftermarket big bore kits offer little if any gain in output. Congrats on the new saw and keep the questions coming.

thanks guys, will be pulling the top end this week end to inspect and to see what else has failed or needs repair.. I will be back!!!

Back