Need help with this wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my guess is silver maple. (soft maple).

Absolutely. Creek bank or bottoim in Indiana? Light weight? Splits like balsa? Silver maple. Definitely not basswood, sugar maple, or willow. Makes a nice natural kindling when mixed with other hardwoods. Plus you can look like a real he-man when you're splitting it.:)

-WSJ

Threw some in last night woke up this morning and checked the OWB temp it was 185 I've never saw it that high before. 183 about the highest I've saw it. Opened it up and the wood level was still very high. I was shocked I was expecting empty. It was about 17 deg. out this morning too. Next step I'm going to fill it up with this wood and see what happens.

My guess is silver maple. It looks like what I have been splitting lately. Although I rarely see willow....and am not sure what the bark would look like. I do cut silver maples near creeks and they get pretty big, pretty fast.

White Oak Bark

I agree with Toddppm. That bark looks like a young white oak that I cut one time. But it would not be a lightweight or real white wood. Bark does not look peeled enough from the ends to be shagbark hickory. White oak is peeled from the sides. Hard maple is peeled from the sides but not quite as much and as consistent as that picture. I know nothing about willow however. You can know a lot about identifying trees but being at the site and seeing the whole tree and surroundings mean a lot. Sometimes a picture is very tough. Tony

I thought hickory when I saw it but when I started cutting if seemed soft and light.

There is not any oak going to cut easily and be soft and ligh guys. It is a willow. I cut one last year. Some people were telling me it was hickory but I knew what it was because I cut it . One man was going to buy it off my truck until I told him it wasnt hickory. He was fooled too.

White Oak dries out really fast. If its been down for a couple years it would have started to get mushrooms and rot if it's White Oak too.

Latest posts

Back