need some ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porta mill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have my empyre owb hooked up to my house and i just finished hooking my dads up to his new double wide . did not have the extra $ to install the under ground insulated pex before the house was set in place so i dug a trench from the owb to as far as I can reach under the house with the back how then ran the insulated pex on te ground now I know heating to houses will increase the amount of wood I will use but it is getting rediclouse now I was thinking of getting some hangers and supporting the pex off the ground then wrapping some fiberglass insulation around the insulated pex I was wondering if anyone has had this problen and what you did to insulate the pex better

I made a box out of foam board put the pex lines in it and filled it with great stuff. This is for the lines that run across the floor of my garage.

Will the insulated thermopex freeze in a cold climate if it is not buried? I'm thinking of adding an OWB in some fashion when I redo an add on porch on the west side of the house next year. This porch is not heated. The concrete slab is already there all the way to the house so I thought just running the thermopex along the inside of the outer wall would work.

An insulated box or bench sitting area could hide the PEX. Thinking out load of course :dizzy:

Brian

I made a box out of foam board put the pex lines in it and filled it with great stuff. This is for the lines that run across the floor of my garage.

This is done up here as well with water lines, especially (or is it solely?) where lines are running from ground wells. Generally the boxes are made out of foam insulation or even plywood, and insulated.

Some also wrap the pipes with heat tape in addition to the above, but I have zero experience with heat tape so I am unsure if it is controllable regarding when it is on or off (re: electricity usage). Considering the fact that the pex will be full of hot water, the heat tape may be overkill in your situation.

I know of one guy who has a double-wide trailer and a well. His run of water line from the ground (right underneath his intake on the trailer) to the trailer is wrapped with heat tape with fiberglass insulation over that. He rings the skirting on his trailer with straw bales as well. The last time he had a frozen water line was about 4 years ago when we had a couple of weeks worth of temps in the -40s.

HTH

Latest posts

Back