New Chain for Stihl 009?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My best friend has a vintage Stihl 009, a residential 16" limbing saw that he really likes. However, he bought it used and the chain is about shot. I'd like to give him a new chain as a coming home present after he visits his son.

Apparently Oregon shows two possible gauge widths, either 0.043" or 0.050". Both have the same pitch. The saw is locked in his garage while on vacation so I can't carry it in to my favorite saw shop here in town. Compared to me, he only does occasional cutting.

1) Does it make any difference which one I buy?
2) Will the bar and sprocket handle either gauge?

Makes no difference to the sprocket, but the bar is different between the two gauges.

I would bet big money on the .050 ga. 55 link.
Never have seen the thin chain on an 009

Fish, the gauge on my Echo 3900 is 0.050, and the engines are both about the same size, the Echo a couple of CCs smaller. However, the Echo has a shorter pitch and gets more teeth on the same length chain. My gut geeling is that the correct gauge is 0.050", and I'm about ready to gamble on it.

Worse case scenario--I buy him a new bar to boot. :chainsaw:

My 009 had the larger chain on it but my MS170 had the small .043 chain. I would get the bar and chain combo from Baileys, can't go wrong.:clap: :clap:

My 009 had the larger chain on it but my MS170 had the small .043 chain. I would get the bar and chain combo from Baileys, can't go wrong.:clap: :clap:

Well, for whatever it's worth the MS 170 has a smaller displacement than the old 009. I was rather surprised the engine on the 009 is rated at 2.5 cubic inches or 41 CCs. So, the larger gauge chain should give it no trouble. It's a perfect match for my Echo 3900 that has more teeth on the chain to pull through.

Latest posts

Back