New dude on the block with a mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petersenj20

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Newbie here with a mill. Old hat on this site I guess. I was pointed here from Sawmillcreek and have been enjoying a look around. I am planning on getting right into it.

I attempted to make a CSM a year or two ago and wasn't very good. I have a buddy with a Red Oak tree down in his yard. It was a split trunk at the base and fell over in a storm. A neighbor cut one limb up into firewood, and I get the other. I had to build a mill though so yesterday I "modeled" it after an Alaskan Small Log Mill. My Stihl is loaned out so I can't finish it's mounting feature. Here are pictures.

Ha, your "blueprints" look like my first & only set of hand drawn "blueprints" for my first log house. I used to love un-rolling them just to watch the eye brows go up! Hey, i could read 'em just fine & the house turned out great. Good luck with it.........

welcome to as. Are you drilling the bar to mount it? Looks that way from the picks
Thats the plan at the moment. Of course this may change once I get it mounted and run into possible problems.

Ha, your "blueprints" look like my first & only set of hand drawn "blueprints" for my first log house. I used to love un-rolling them just to watch the eye brows go up! Hey, i could read 'em just fine & the house turned out great. Good luck with it.........
All that matters is the person building can read and cypher.

wish i could do blueprints like that, can't draw a straight line. thought i had it made with my lt 40 wm, but these csm guys showed me different. got to have me one to whittle down some of those hard to load or inaccessible logs. wife's the welder in the family, better start sweet talkin' her i'd say.

My son and I went yesterday to try the mill out. I replaced the bar on the saw with a 20" and got bolted up. I started with a 10' log and took the top bark slice off. Made a 3 1/2" slab that cut through a limb. It has a nice look and I am tempted to use it as a mantle in my house. Once I do a little research whether it is actually feasible.

The only problem I had with the 028 was a fuel tank leak that flooded the saw every time I had to refuel (3X) making for some hard starts. It ran very well and didn't give me any other problems.

A couple notes:
1 - The standard chain bogs down a lot and I need to grind it to a ripping chain.
2 - I also need to put more weight on the mill side to keep solid to the rail/slab. It kept raising up on me and made a very rough cut with bar shaped gouges.
3 - It was a lot more difficult hogging through all that wood and I should have ate my Weeties.

Here are some pictures. I also got a stand for my cheap anvil to pound on.

Back