New guy needs pro opinion - Pioneer 3071

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanesaw84

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First of all, this is my first post, so I'll start off by saying hello!

I need some opinions on piston and cylinder from a Pioneer 3071. I bought it for cheap. The guy said he could get it running by spraying fluid into the carb, but it wouldn't stay running. I am new to all of this. I had recently bought a little Homelite XL-1 and did some minor repairs to get it working, and she runs great. But this... I need some help lol

It has good spark, I pulled the carb and It definitely needs a rebuild kit, but then I decided to pull the muffler. Which on this saw is a little more complicated than the homelite. I look in the exhaust port and see some scoring. So... I pulled the cylinder to see what's going on. See pics below. Does this need both a new piston and cylinder?
20200614_104300.jpg20200614_104522.jpg20200614_104546.jpg
All opinions welcome. This is a cool saw, And I don't want to give up if I don't have to. I'm all about learning some new skills.

That's pretty ugly. If you want to make a runner out of it, I would plan on finding a different top end. It would take a lot of work to make that top end a runner and it would never make as much power
as it originally did, even with new rings and everything cleaned up. There have been several 3071 parts saws on Ebay recently, so that might be the best option.

That's pretty ugly. If you want to make a runner out of it, I would plan on finding a different top end. It would take a lot of work to make that top end a runner and it would never make as much power
as it originally did, even with new rings and everything cleaned up. There have been several 3071 parts saws on Ebay recently, so that might be the best option.
That's what I figured my only good option will be. But with this being my first go at it, I wanted some other opinions. I've been reading and watching some videos and that's what I based my original thought process on, but sometimes it doesn't beat actually talking to someone about it. I'll stay on the lookout. I'll also start posting and asking around to see if anyone has these parts for sale.

Latest posts

Back