New(old) splitter (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbowling

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Bought this splitter a few days ago, homemade and was built to split off the tailgate of pick-up hence how high it sits... it has a 5 horse Techumsa(sp) engine, cyl. looks to be 4.5 in. but not sure how to measure it, the pump says Delta Hyd. Rockford, Ill. model C8-4L no idea what that means either... it seems to split very good, split a 14-16 in. pc. of dried elm no problem..
I had to put new bolts and lock washers on engine mount as there were none and they were loose, got new air filter and added some hydraulic fluid... its leaking fluid on the backstroke of ram around the bottom front of ram. Not sure how big a deal that is to fix never messed with`em.... heres a few pics..

The leaking appears to be the seal. You should be able to take that to anyplace that repairs farm or industrial equipment and get that taken care of. Some of them are pretty easy if you want to do it yourself, but others can be a real PIA. Especially if the cylinder has seen weather.

Good looking home brew. Should get the job done for ya.:clap:

Looks to me like a decent home built unit aside from a few fittings that I'd suggest you replace asap. It appears to me that there are some street 90's used on the pressure side, bad news. They are not rated for the kind of pressure it takes to split 14" elm. Do yourself a favor and replace them with the proper hydraulic fittings. You really dont want one of those exploding less than a foot away from your arm do ya?

pressure side

Looks to me like a decent home built unit aside from a few fittings that I'd suggest you replace asap. It appears to me that there are some street 90's used on the pressure side, bad news. They are not rated for the kind of pressure it takes to split 14" elm. Do yourself a favor and replace them with the proper hydraulic fittings. You really dont want one of those exploding less than a foot away from your arm do ya?
Boostnut, dont really know didley about splitter mechanics other then operating them, which side is the pressure side and according to the guy I bought it from theres been nothing done to it in years other then he replaced the Briggs/Stratton engine. Thanks for the heads up, Dean

There is a line that runs from the pump to the control valve + 2 additional lines that run from the control valve to the cylinder. These are all under extreme pressure (up to 3000 psi) and standard pipe fittings, street 90's and maybe a coupling in your case, are a big no-no on these 3 lines. Head to your local farm store for the correct hydraulic fittings and get them replaced before someone gets hurt.

Pump, valve etc.

Found out the valve is a Energy tandem center detent, 1/2 nptf max. pressure 2500 psi. and the pump is a Delta C8-4L, e-mailed the company waiting for a answer on gpm etc. Tryed to find hose sizes by numbers on fittings but google came up with nothing. Are farm supply places the only places that will have fittings/hoses for it or would Napa have them...Ive got a Rural King and a TSC but have to drive 40 miles to get to them..

Most napa stores can order or make them for you but you may check surpluscenter.com if you dont have a tsc or rk store any closer than 40 miles from you. Get those things replaced and put your new tool to work, have fun!

hoses

Most napa stores can order or make them for you but you may check surpluscenter.com if you dont have a tsc or rk store any closer than 40 miles from you. Get those things replaced and put your new tool to work, have fun!
boostnut, was just p.med by a member and found out there is a hydro shop about 15 miles or so from my house so going to check them out...thanks for your help, Dean

Help!!!! In pic #3 of the first post, there is a valve that the lever hits when it is returned to the "done" position. It is the aluminum one with a small (1/8") shaft that sticks out a couple of inches. My homemade splitter that I got last year has the same part and mine is leaking. I want to replace mine but don't know what it is called. Anybody know? Thanks.

Last edited:
valve

Help!!!! In pic #3 of the first post, there is a valve that the lever hits when it is returned to the "done" position. It is the aluminum one with a small (1/8") shaft that sticks out a couple of inches. My homemade splitter that I got last year has the same part and mine is leaking. I want to replace mine but don't know what it is called. Anybody know? Thanks.
carvinmark, dont know much about them either but if you look on yours there should be a name or some numbers, write them down then put them in google search and should bring up your valve.... heres mine in case you want to check it out- DSKCVA-200 ENERGY 4 WAY TANDEM CENTER DETENT VALVE

Back