New OWB owners - Beware the Fireball!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my friend was showing me his burner
he cracked the door and waited about 10 seconds, slowly inching the door open...
i kept watching him like "wtf's he doing?"
the moment i thought that, WHOOF!!
haha, made a FYI to myself

It can happen on any wood or coal fired furnace that has a controlled draft if opened right after the draft closes on a hot fire. Anyone who grew up with one of the old wood/coal furnaces in the basement should be able to remember the clank of the draft door when it slammed back down after "woofing" as Dad called it. They would do it all on their own because of air leaks in the non sealed draft and ash doors. There are documented cases if it blowing the sections apart and the entire furnace had to be reset and cemented. The difference with our OWBs is we have a huge firebox to build gasses and a huge door that is sealed. As stated there are two ways to protect yourself, don't open the door for a few minutes after the draft has shut down or simplly be in the habit of standing back so the "woof" doesn't get ya. In today's sue happy culture it amazes me that the Mfrs have not included safety's that preclude the opening of the door for a couple minutes after the draft shuts down. It would not be that hard or costly to include them.

Latest posts

Back