new trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely a good deal for under $2K!

Are you going to weld on some stake pockets and haul wood with it?

That's the plan.I don't know if I'll go the whole length or just to the dovetail.Anyone with an opinion? I've been looking for about 6 months.Seems to me that the deck-overs, though more expensive new, can be had cheaper than a 'car-hauler' type used.My tractor has the rear tires spread to the outer limit(hilly land), so I really had no choice.I know I would overload a trailer with a 7k gross way too easily as well.

Looks real nice. A similar trailer is on my short list as well, for hauling tractors, wood, and such. It's in line somewhere right behind a new MS460.

That's the plan.I don't know if I'll go the whole length or just to the dovetail.Anyone with an opinion? I've been looking for about 6 months.Seems to me that the deck-overs, though more expensive new, can be had cheaper than a 'car-hauler' type used.My tractor has the rear tires spread to the outer limit(hilly land), so I really had no choice.I know I would overload a trailer with a 7k gross way too easily as well.

I have a 16' equipment hauler (6000# braked axles), so am not speaking from experience here, but will offer my opinion.

What kind of truck are you pulling it with? If it is a 1/2 ton, then you might be at the truck's weight limit by the time you get to the ramp. A 3/4 or 1 ton would give you more pulling power.

How long is the trailer? If it is a 16-2 and you aren't hauling too far, then 16' may be enough work if you are loading and unloading by hand. If it is a 14-2, then I would use as much as I could.

If you are hauling log-length then it's a moot point as a stake pocket near the ramp will hold anything that sits over the ramp area.

If you are bucking, then chances are you are just throwing the blocks into the trailer (too much time and energy to stack them only to have to unload them when you get home). That means that you have more air space on the trailer, which also means that you can throw more wood on. In that case I'd build walls and go right to the end of the ramp.

Do a search on the www and you will find stake pockets ready-made to accept 2x4s. You can get either bolt on ones or weldable ones.

If I had to pick one or the other I'd go right to the end of the ramp so you had the option to use the space or not. I've seen pics somewhere of a trailer that used the ramp area and I remember that the owner liked his set up.

HTH

:cheers:

Trailer is a 16-2.I am pulling it with a Toyota with a 10k towing capability.The trailer has a 14k capacity.When I haul, I stack.I will only be hauling dry wood, as I stack it green down at my place.At 8' wide, I should, theoretically, be able to haul 4 cords at a time;just about a years worth.I can't see that I would do this, but nice to know that now I can.

NOPE NOPE.. nope.. Crappy.. thats a POS.. no good at all.. you know what, I'll do you a favour.. you look like a nice guy.. I'll actually give what you paid for it and I'll take it from you.. just because I want to see you with something better.. 2" decking I mean common!! I'll fix 'er up real nice!!:dizzy:

Nice trailer.. I paid $1500 for my16' tandem and it's not 1/2 the trailer that is. Looks like you could haul a tank!! Nice find!

offer still stands:)

Nice trailer. Never seen boards run sideways like that before. I like deckovers for logs.

Good score! I've been looking around here for a 9 ton unit, but everything I see for $3-4k is whooped to ****. The plank job does seem a little odd running crossways though..

If that's the case I'll load her 10' high with the stuff and come visit.My buddy bought a band-saw mill and has been stockpiling boards for years.He has a pole building filled with Black Walnut planks and a couple more filled with everything else.He was planning on using it for his 'dream house', but I think the plan has changed.

Good score! I've been looking around here for a 9 ton unit, but everything I see for $3-4k is whooped to ****. The plank job does seem a little odd running crossways though..

I wondered about that,too.I guess it doesn't matter, seeing how well supported the frame is.A lot easier to find 8' White Oak than 16'.

If that's the case I'll load her 10' high with the stuff and come visit.My buddy bought a band-saw mill and has been stockpiling boards for years.He has a pole building filled with Black Walnut planks and a couple more filled with everything else.He was planning on using it for his 'dream house', but I think the plan has changed.

Did some searching for prices here. Most want to qutoe you,
but here is one to some prices.
http://www.saers.com/~craig/wood/

Back