new tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParisGirl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I would like some help with choosing a new tree to plant in my front yard. A beautiful birch tree died of old age and I have a corner space. I live in Massachusetts, zone 6, on a street with large and mature trees around. This makes the location mostly shade, maybe 2-3 hours of full sun, and another 3 hours of filtered light.

I’m looking for a column shape tree, like an Italian Cypress (which needs full sun, so I can’t have that). My house has a somewhat Mediterranean look in the front, and a tall thin evergreen would look beautiful. But we’re not in a Mediterranean climate, so I’m having a hard time finding a tree to look like that but be happy here. All tujas (arborvitae) I checked seem to like full or partial sun. I’d like the tree to look happy and dense, not brown and leggy. The junipers seem to thrive around here, but I can't find one in column form...

The new tree will go in the corner of our very small front yard, with polite neighbors on both sides: a rhododendron which I keep trimmed and compact at about 7-8 feet, and an evergreen shrub, also well fed and trimmed at 5-6 feet. The space at the base may be 8-10 feet, but I’d prefer a tree with maximum 5-7 feet diameter base, with a straight upward growth.

Could anybody suggest a good tree for me?

-zone 6
-mostly shade
-column or conic shape
-adult height 12-30ft
-diam at base 5-7 ft

Thank you all!

THuja

If you say junipers do well int he same spot then you would be more the okay with any variety of thuja (arborvitae). I personally like thuja plicata, the western arb, they are nice and dark, semi deer resistant and tend to stay rather conical. One variety that SUCKS is the Emerald Green or Smargrd variety of thuja. DO NOT PLANT. Bad crotches prone to split and just looks like ????. I work in the Boston area and we plant tons of these trees and they do very well, sun or shade. ANother variety to try in Green Giant, a type of western arb.

Back