Newbie carver trying to create a bowl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd.rodgers

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm dipping my toes into woodturning this year and I'm working on my first bowl project. So far, it's been an exciting learning curve, but I've reached a point where I need to shape the interior of the bowl. Now, I'm stumped on which tool to use for this task.

I have both a spindle gouge and a bowl gouge on hand. From what I know, these gouges can be specific in terms of their purpose and use. So, which of these two gouges would be more appropriate for shaping the inside of a bowl?

Also, if you have any tips on the technique like how to hold the gouge correctly, the angle to approach the wood, or how to achieve a smooth curve without gouging too deep, that would be incredibly helpful. I just want even thickness throughout the bowl for a smooth finish.

Thank you in advance for your help!

I'm dipping my toes into woodturning this year and I'm working on my first bowl project. So far, it's been an exciting learning curve, but I've reached a point where I need to shape the interior of the bowl. Now, I'm stumped on which tool to use for this task.

I have both a spindle gouge and a bowl gouge on hand. From what I know, these gouges can be specific in terms of their purpose and use. So, which of these two gouges would be more appropriate for shaping the inside of a bowl?

Also, if you have any tips on the technique like how to hold the gouge correctly, the angle to approach the wood, or how to achieve a smooth curve without gouging too deep, that would be incredibly helpful. I just want even thickness throughout the bowl for a smooth finish.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Do not use the spindle gouge on the interior of the bowl. For technique, You're a best bet Would be to Contact an experienced Turner, And/or join a Turning clu

I'd recommend using the bowl gouge. Its deeper flute and more robust design are better suited for hollowing out the bowl.Hold the gouge firmly, approach the wood at a slight angle, and maintain a steady curve by rolling the tool smoothly. It takes practice.

Thank you for all the advice! I'm feeling more confident now as I tackle the interior, after practicing on a few test pieces.

Latest posts

Back