No spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
I just picked up a 272, the guy said he thinks it needs a coil. I think he is wright. I put a carb kit in it, and new spark plug. I didn't run that good, no idle, then died, now it has no spark, when I pull the motor over with the plug out, and the coil wire connected to the plug. Plug was grounded. I unplugged the kill switch to make sure that wasn't it.

Thanks

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just picked up a 272, the guy said he thinks it needs a coil. I think he is wright. I put a carb kit in it, and new spark plug. I didn't run that good, no idle, then died, now it has no spark, when I pull the motor over with the plug out, and the coil wire connected to the plug. Plug was grounded. I unplugged the kill switch to make sure that wasn't it.

Thanks

Pull the coil, make sure the wires are all tight, and it is secured tightly. Look for obvious damage like a cracked coil pack, etc...

Best to use a spark tester though...the old plug on the head routine is not a good indication of spark presense or power.

If it all checks out, put in a new plug and try that. IF still nothing, may as well replace the coil.

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
Yes Romeo did offer one up. I was going to be ordering a couple other parts off Curt on ebay. And he has new coils for $27, so figure cant go wrong.

I know the plug on the head isn't the greatest test for spark, but it does tell me if there is any spark or not. And there was none at all.

Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Dont get mad or take this the wrong way. But make sure you have the on/off switch on. I pulled a duh once trouble shooting and cost me extra time figuring out why I did have spark on a saw that had spark the day before.

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
Hey no problem, I'll take any advice, trust me I ve made plenty of dumb mistakes, sometimes you just tend to get ahead of yourself, and don't think of the simple things. But I did think of that and I just unplugged the kill switch to make sure that wasn't the problem.

Thanks

Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Dont get mad or take this the wrong way. But make sure you have the on/off switch on. I pulled a duh once trouble shooting and cost me extra time figuring out why I did have spark on a saw that had spark the day before.

We all have those times. I was getting ready to run a West Bend 820 saw at a show this summer. The da'' thing would not start. I just had it running at home a few days ago. Well a splash of fuel does wonders.

On a side note if the poster does not take Romeo up on hi soffer I am interested as I have a 272 that is looking the same way.

Bill