northern sharpener fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone come up with any more ideas on how to stop the top section of the grinder from going all the way straight back every time, its kind of a pain ,can't believe they didn't put a stop on it some where , I liked the idea with the bolt through the top casting but was afraid it could brake the housing ?? I thought of maybe a cable or chain but if it ever broke the unit might fly up fast enough to brake something else , the spring they used is pretty heavy.

Last edited:
Come on guys , there must be some more ideas for this problem :givebeer:

Maybe I'll try the bolt idea , just hate to go drilling holes in it :chainsaw:

I am looking for a suggestion as well-- No matter how tight I crank down the bottom section (after setting the angle), the plate that holds the chain vice has a slight wobble. Any suggestions how to stop the wobble. JB Weld??

Flatpikr , Mine is in pieces right now or I would run out and check mine , I don't remember having any play in that area , your not missing a washer are you and the knob is running out of threads before it gets tight .

I am looking for a suggestion as well-- No matter how tight I crank down the bottom section (after setting the angle), the plate that holds the chain vice has a slight wobble. Any suggestions how to stop the wobble. JB Weld??
Didnt have a problem with mine till the other day, I took off the bottom handle (bolt) and added a nylon washer between it and the convex washer and it tightened it right up, hasnt moved since.

As for keeping it within reach

I used a tie wrap to keep it from going to high.. Been on there since I got it way back when.

Is it only doing it when you try to do the 10° tilt? If so, did you look underneath the base-plate & grind off the casting tip?

Nitro , it does it all the time , settings don't matter , there's nothing That I can see built into it to stop it from going up all the way everytime , unless I didn't get something in the box. Are some of you getting a stop with your sharpener??

Nitro , it does it all the time , settings don't matter , there's nothing That I can see built into it to stop it from going up all the way everytime , unless I didn't get something in the box. Are some of you getting a stop with your sharpener??

chugbug, I was responding to post #3 about the chain vise plate.

As for as your question, mine used to go up all the way too, I just used a picture hanging wire with a ring terminal on each end wrapped around a screw on the moving and non moving parts cut to the lenght I was comfortable with.

Has anyone come up with any more ideas on how to stop the top section of the grinder from going all the way straight back every time, its kind of a pain ,can't believe they didn't put a stop on it some where , I liked the idea with the bolt through the top casting but was afraid it could brake the housing ?? I thought of maybe a cable or chain but if it ever broke the unit might fly up fast enough to brake something else , the spring they used is pretty heavy.

Actually the bolt is exactly the way Oregon did the 511 except theirs has a knob and more adjustment. I doubt it will break but with china castings who really knows? Take a chance mine works just fine. And in all reality do we really know where the Oregon was cast? :)

Kansas

Kansas , Just to make sure were talking about the same adjustment , I can see where your bolt would work as a stop when bring the top arm DOWN , but there is already a stop built in for that , your saying the bolt will stop the arm from swinging all the way up ?? It just doesn't look like the angle is right to do that .

Kansas , Just to make sure were talking about the same adjustment , I can see where your bolt would work as a stop when bring the top arm DOWN , but there is already a stop built in for that , your saying the bolt will stop the arm from swinging all the way up ?? It just doesn't look like the angle is right to do that .

Yup all true! I have been trying to re-post another pic but I give up. Take a look at page 41 post #615 on the other thread FYI Northern Grinder the second pic shows the arm up. Fact it took a lot less time to mod the machine than I spent trying to re-post the pic lmao! :) hth

Kansas

Back