Northern Tool 4 way system

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulinNY

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on Northern 4 way system. The catalog lists a kit with 4 way, cylinder, stripper and anchor block. Ive already got an 11HP engine, 16 GPM with coupler and an I beam. Ive been planning on building one but only if its significantly faster than a 22ton im using now. Any thoughts?

I think it differs from person to person i own it. I like to use it on the soft wood to make small pices to start the fires. I think for larger pices of wood it can be a pain and own some hardwoods. I have not timed it but feel that it would be faster not to use it on hardwoods because it slows down the cycle time. Just my two cents

Check on the shipping.

I was going to go that route, but the shipping was a killer. I made my own anchor blocks, got a wedge from Northern and went to a semi scrap yard for a cylinder. I spent less on my stuff than shipping alone.

I have the NT 22 ton splitter. I also have the 4-way wings that I managed to con off the store manager when I bought it. I tried the 4 ways once, and never again. If the wedge was mounted onto the I-beam instead of the ram, the 4 way would work much better. The wedge being on the ram, puts way too much pressure on the cylinder as the (4 way) wings travel across the bottom pieces of wood. The bottom pieces are actually wedged between the I-beam and the wings as the ram extends. The top pieces can simply fall away as they are being split, but there is nowhere for the bottom pieces to go. I hope you can understand what I am trying to explain. If you are looking for a 4 way system I would definately find one with a fixed 4 way onto the ram. So the split wood can simply fall off the end of the splitter without resistance to the splitter.

Otherwise, I do like the ram and wedge set up on my splitter. The log stripper works great.

If you are referring to the four way wedge adapter that will bolt to a north star splitter they work ok when splitting small dia wood. No good when splitting large pieces. Best to use when splitter is in vertical position. Used mine one time removed it never put back on.

:agree2:
I have the NT 22 ton splitter. I also have the 4-way wings that I managed to con off the store manager when I bought it. I tried the 4 ways once, and never again. If the wedge was mounted onto the I-beam instead of the ram, the 4 way would work much better. The wedge being on the ram, puts way too much pressure on the cylinder as the (4 way) wings travel across the bottom pieces of wood. The bottom pieces are actually wedged between the I-beam and the wings as the ram extends. The top pieces can simply fall away as they are being split, but there is nowhere for the bottom pieces to go. I hope you can understand what I am trying to explain. If you are looking for a 4 way system I would definately find one with a fixed 4 way onto the ram. So the split wood can simply fall off the end of the splitter without resistance to the splitter.

Otherwise, I do like the ram and wedge set up on my splitter. The log stripper works great.
tom trees

Back