not firewood but coal question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danlauer6

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello,

have a friend looking to buy coal for next winter wan wondering if anyone knew of any place in or around the Ill. area selling it?

Thanks

Hello,
I have a friend looking to buy coal for next winter wan wondering if anyone knew of any place in or around the Ill. area selling it?
Thanks
I am rather amazed that anyone in Wheaton, IL is still burning coal to heat a house and that it is still allowed that close to Chicago. Note that coal is mined all over the state of Illinois and is still the principal source of fuel for power plants in this state.

(Former resident of Elmhurst, IL, a graduate of the University of Illinois, and a York Duke.)

From what I understand, Illinois gets most of its coal shipped from Wyoming, where there is less sulfur content. Be that as it may, I happen to have a bit of coal free for the asking. It came out of a neighbor's basement who needed to get rid of it when he sold the house. I burned about half of it the last two years (out in my shop), but my neighbors complain about the smell. It's yours if you want it. It is in one of the bins in my compost bin, about 3' square.
I don't know what kind of coal it is, (bituminus or anthracite) but I believe it's the lesser grade, whichever that is. I live about 20 miles East of St. Louis right near I-64. If that's worth the drive, it's all yours.

Yea I am not sure about heating a house in Wheaton with it. My friend bought an old school house out west from a farmer on the land that they hunt. Inside the school house are two old coal stoves that they are working on restoring one from what I hear is in real good condition the other I am not sure still waiting for pictures. Thanks for the input I will let him know.

how much?

From what I understand, Illinois gets most of its coal shipped from Wyoming, where there is less sulfur content. Be that as it may, I happen to have a bit of coal free for the asking. It came out of a neighbor's basement who needed to get rid of it when he sold the house. I burned about half of it the last two years (out in my shop), but my neighbors complain about the smell. It's yours if you want it. It is in one of the bins in my compost bin, about 3' square.
I don't know what kind of coal it is, (bituminus or anthracite) but I believe it's the lesser grade, whichever that is. I live about 20 miles East of St. Louis right near I-64. If that's worth the drive, it's all yours.

As far as a pickup load is concerned how much do you have? I dont live that far from you. If the other guy dont take it.

Thanks I will pass this along. unclemoustache talked to him today and he said was to far of a drive but thanks anyways!!!

Just an idea check with any local gas/steam tractor clubs in your area to see where they get it. If they have any steam traction engines they maybe are getting it somewhere in the area.

Latest posts

Back