Not gonna touch this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cutting it at the base is what bothers him.

He's cool with ripping it down the road, he just don't wanna cut it.
captaincaveman.jpg

Ummmm, slowp is a woman. Paula I believe?

Meanwhilst:

Had one of those moments today. Cutting a blowdown out of a road, could see the tension on the log from where it skinned a neighboring tree on the way down, cut it close to the butt to keep well clear of the log when it swung clear. Oddly tough cut. Ran out of gas with about 1/2" of holding wood in the center. Filled 'er up... barely touched chain to wood before the log dropped straight down, and the bastid rootwad sat up in its hole. Now, it's not like I'd never seen that happen before, and it's not like I wasn't outta the way, but the lesson here is that you have to be careful. Tension on several axes is unpredictable -- a vector sum -- and is not to be trifled with.

Slowp's leaner could go several ways. Just undercutting it could result in the rootwad sitting up or the stem barberchairing, or it could drop free and swing back, or it could just fall cleanly bit by bit. None of us are there to size it up, so none of us can judge it. I maintain that the safest course of action would be to either let gravity take its course (I have made that decision more than once) or to lever the butt away from a safe distance. I would be WAY less than enthusiastic about any solution that involved putting saw to leaner.

LOL I give up

Bring in a helicopter, hell bring in two.
Bring in a crane to spot the helicopters
and a bigger crane to spot the other crane.
garfieldthrowdish.jpg

Today, the Scary Tree was visited by an independent professional West Coast
timber faller, who pronounced it as a scary tree. Nope, you couldn't whack it from the bottom up, and you'd better have a couple of good escape routes to go to, and you'd better look at what it is hung up in. There's a lot of energy stored up. Nope, I told him not to cut it as it would involve too much paperwork.

Here is Gologit sizing up the Scary Tree.
attachment.php

Note the new Toyota Tacoma in the background. It was initiated as a woods pickup on the nasty road to the scary tree. Some rubbing on brush and one thunk of the undercarriage while negotiating a slide.

Today, the Scary Tree was visited by an independent professional West Coast
timber faller, who pronounced it as a scary tree. Nope, you couldn't whack it from the bottom up, and you'd better have a couple of good escape routes to go to, and you'd better look at what it is hung up in. There's a lot of energy stored up. Nope, I told him not to cut it as it would involve too much paperwork.

Here is Gologit sizing up the Scary Tree.
attachment.php

Note the new Toyota Tacoma in the background. It was initiated as a woods pickup on the nasty road to the scary tree. Some rubbing on brush and one thunk of the undercarriage while negotiating a slide.

That's quite a tree and there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. It's growing from below the road so there's heavy stress on the point where it rests on the road edge. It then bows out in the opposite direction in a long curve to where it's hung up in several trees up the hill on the other side of the road. Two serious tension areas in two different directions and the only one you can reach with a saw is the one coming up from the downhill side of the road. Even that is limited...the downhill side is clear but you wouldn't want to stand there...the uphill side is under about three feet of brush and slash, real foot grabbers.

I had my saws and tools but Slowp wouldn't let me cut it...and it's her wood. I'm not on the paperwork for that area and if anything bad would have happened Slowp would be retiring early.

I think the only smart thing to do is wait for the wind to do it's job. It's not a heavily traveled road this time of the year. If it had to be cut I think a series of small relieving cuts starting from the butt might be a good way to start. If you could get enough stress off that way you could think about bucking some of it and skidding the rest out at an angle. But...you'd want to stay light on your feet and be ready to fly.

And the Tacoma in the picture is mine. LOL...I still haven't figured out how we wound up using my pickup but it's definitely got it's first brush scratches and slide bumps now.:)

hey well if the tree can survive its own load it can be a good reference point as in go just past the green tree,or turn right at the big stump by the rock,this will be next turn after the ####in scary ass hanger!

Back