Not so happy firewood business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they are trying to make burning firewood more expensive to cut down on the number of people burning. Wood will tend to get more expensive due to having to get it locally where supplies may be limited. I love how they exempted timber companies and what about the mulchers?

Very well could be, this damn state has more stupid laws and regulations for who knows why. I have my share of ideas what they need to do but I just have a beer and try not to think about it to keep myself out of trouble.

:cheers:

MUST HAVE A BUSINESS PLAN!....just 'cuz you can cut wood and split it, doesn't mean you are guaranteed a profit at it!
See disclaimer below: :chainsaw:

The gov has really cracked down on the firewood fellows around here. If you have a load on a truck with a sign you better have a business license. I have seen them writing down license plate numbers on loaded pickups and trailers with wood for sale signs on them. Most likely checking that against the unemployment register. Wonder how they sleep at night when they bust a guy that is out of work on unemployment just trying to save his home and feed his kids.
I noticed congress is getting their raise and they can't seem to stop the outrageous ceo packages we the people gave them.

The gov has really cracked down on the firewood fellows around here. If you have a load on a truck with a sign you better have a business license. I have seen them writing down license plate numbers on loaded pickups and trailers with wood for sale signs on them. Most likely checking that against the unemployment register. Wonder how they sleep at night when they bust a guy that is out of work on unemployment just trying to save his home and feed his kids.
I noticed congress is getting their raise and they can't seem to stop the outrageous ceo packages we the people gave them.

If they did that around here lots of guys would be hurting

NY state firewood laws... what a load of ballacks! Along with their anti-OWB laws.

I'm not sure that the 50 miles effects much? Most firewood providors will not deliver wood that far anyways. You can usually find a local guy. I understand the law is about pest control such as the emerald ash borer. Believe me, that's no joke!

I'm not sure that the 50 miles effects much?

I was thinking the shape of New York as it funnels into NYC, it limits the areas that could supply non-kilned firewood pretty dramatically...but looking at Craigslist right now it doesn't seem like there's much of a premium being paid for firewood in the NYC / Long Island area.

Hay conveyor

After a splitter the next good thing to have is a dump truck. Nothing huge or fancy, a 1-ton pickup dump holds about a full cord, can get into tight places and is cheaper to run and register than a big truck. After that an old hay conveyor (to load the truck) would be handy. With this setup you can do a lot of wood fast and come close to keeping up with a small processor.

My buddy runs a Splitfire 2-way splitter with a nice lift table, it really goes fast and saves a lot of back work.

Did you have to modify it to use the hay conveyor?

I have cut and split wood, mostly for personal. It is hard work, especially when you drive yourself hard. No one had a financial gun to my head, no pressure, just how I work. Trying to catch some poor guy working his butt off to look after his family? Good grief.

That's why you don't put a sign on your truck or trailer. Stay small, stay under their radar. If you get pulled over just say the wood is going to a friends house. Advertise on Craigslist and use email only, don't have your phone # visible for the narks to see.

I think if the IRS started giving me #### I'd just go out and buy new saws, etc so that my profits were so small they wouldn't get much anyways.

With the price of fuel last Summer there wasn't any need to buy new saws to show a loss. Cutting firewood was mostly just to have something to do in our spare time and a reason to run the saws. I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of gasoline/diesel goes back up this Summer. No point in the oil company owners having to scrimp while the rest of the country is in the dumper trying to make ends meet.

What do I do with all that wood ? - I burn it.

Latest posts

Back