Oak tree cracked patio concrete....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misty800

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We have a large leaf native oak tree in middle of a 13'x23' concrete patio and after 42 years the tree roots have cracked the concrete (1/4' crack).

The tree is very large and towers above our 2-story home providing much needed shade. I do not want to remove the tree but would like to repair the patio and put tile on it.

What choices do I have to remedy the problem, save the tree, avoid further damage to the patio, and possibly to the house.

We have sandy soil with clay beneath.

Misty
Texas

We have a large leaf native oak tree in middle of a 13'x23' concrete patio and after 42 years the tree roots have cracked the concrete (1/4' crack).

The tree is very large and towers above our 2-story home providing much needed shade. I do not want to remove the tree but would like to repair the patio and put tile on it.

What choices do I have to remedy the problem, save the tree, avoid further damage to the patio, and possibly to the house.

We have sandy soil with clay beneath.

Misty
Texas

Welcome first of all to AS.
You have a problem. Being that the Oak is in the center of the patio,
more damage is going to occur. Roots will continue to crack the concrete.
If you want to save the tree, which is a good idea, I would consider
removing the concrete patio, and building a nice wolmanized deck instead.
This way you will be able to cut the boards around the trunk as the tree grows. And also have built in benches around it. The benches can also
provide a railing.

consider
removing the concrete patio, and building a nice wolmanized deck instead.
Good advice.

If you really want the tile you can have that too. just install a sandy underlayment. The book Avoiding Infrastructure Damage by Tree Roots is only $20. or so; why not buy it?

I like Kevin's idea about the deck. You don't even have to remove the cracked concrete, just install the new deck a couple inches over the top of it.

I suppose you could tile the new deck if you want to spend the time and money. I don't know much about tiling over such a deck but I'm sure someone has done it. I would worry about movement and cracking though.

Oak tree cracked patio concete...

Thanks for your suggestions.

There is another problem, concrete patio is only 1" below threshold of the sliding glass door, also, the patio is on ground level with yard sloping toward the house. I really do not have room to play with the patio.

I wonder if the concrete was ground down to level the area, how soon would the tree roots raise the concrete to cause problems. Took 42 years for roots to reach this point, but, they are touching underside of the concrete. How fast a rate do tree roots grow? The oak tree 2' above ground is 66" around.

Misty

Grinding down the edges is commonly done on sidewalks etc by cities and should last a long time on a 2' tree.

What choices do I have to remedy the problem, save the tree, avoid further damage to the patio, and possibly to the house.Texas

Sometimes we can not have it both ways. This is a key, feature plant in your landscape, providing MUCH needed shade for your home. Consider removing the concrete and practicing some soil management for the tree. Try to ensure its longevity. The raised deck sounds like a good option to paving over the tree's roots with concrete.
Concrete costs about $2.50 for 40lbs here. What might the replacement value of that large oak be?

Latest posts

Back