Odd cylinder on an 044. Anybody recognize this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon1270

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Over the weekend I picked up an 044 project, used and dirty but not abused. It's an early 10mm, with the metal tags and red switch shaft. When I pulled the shroud off, I was surprised to see the top fins going straight across the cylinder instead of the usual near-45-degree angle. I initially suspected it was an aftermarket item that somebody threw on there, but it's got the Stihl logo. Compounding the strangeness, there are no other logos or names that I recognize -- no KS stamp, no raised lettering that says Mahle or Gilardoni.

It's definitely a 10mm wrist-pin saw. The ring-positioning pins line up neatly between the intake and transfers, which I wouldn't expect if it were a 12mm cylinder paired with a 10mm piston, but my experience with these doesn't run very deep. It has the D-shaped combustion chamber. If this is not the original cylinder, which is plausible because it did seem a little cleaner than the rest of the saw, then I'd say the replacement was done years ago. At some point the saw ingested a small screw, which got pinched between the piston and the edge of the combustion chamber a few times before it was expelled. Thankfully it didn't touch the plating or do any other meaningful damage.

So, uh... has anyone seen one of these before?

P1030407.JPG P1030405.JPG P1030404.JPG P1030403.JPG P1030400.JPG P1030402.JPG P1030398.JPG P1030397.JPG

It looks like the cylinder they used right before adding the decomp button, and after they changed to 12mm.
It will work on any 044/440.

Okay, that fits. I've had a couple of 044's, but no experience with 440's except that I built the parts from an 044 into a 440 crankcase a year or so ago. Did the decomp get added during the 044 era, or was that a 440-only feature? Do all 440's have it?

Latest posts

Back