Old man Freezes, who IS responsible, if anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who is responsible for his death if anyone?

• The gentleman himself

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • The power company

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • Community and or neighbors

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Nobody.It was a tragic accident

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • nephew and remaining family

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Total voters

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
Okay, this is a brother thread to the one already started about the 93 year old man that died because the electric company shut off his power and he froze.
If you dont want to participate, thats alright by me. But, I am curious.

Last edited:
This subject has already been beat deader than seven hells in the original thread!

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=87488

Your right TreeCo, and I apologize. But as I stated, this is purely for my own interest, and in all seriousness I am asking the question here instead of on the other thread.
I consider you all my friends, and this subject touches a little close to home for me, and the matter has weighed rather heavily for me.
I am in fact writing a term paper on the subject of the decline of American as we knew it, and because this subject hits rather close to home with me I hope you can indulge me a little further.
this thread was not designed to carry this subject any further, but rather divulge how we all look at life in America.
To anyone and everyone outside the United States, please feel free to cast your vote, your opinion is just as valuable.I pray that your country never falls to the great depth that the United States has.

I didnt read the big post, but my opinion. It should not be the power company's fault at all. They have a buisness to run, they are not a charity. It was his fault, along with his family's fault. It was a terrible thing that happened, but people in this country have to start taking responsability. Actions have consiquences. There are plenty of charitys around that would have payed his bill to keep the heat on in the winter. I am also pretty sure that he didnt forget to pay last months bill and then they shut him off, I am guessing that he hasnt payed for a while, and has recieved a few notice letters from the power company.

This is a complicated and VERY sad subject!! First for someone to say this man commited suicide is not only shallow but also VERY sad! It seems to me that we as a society all to often lack the ability to think about someones situation from THEIR perspective who knows what all the facets of this guys life came into play for one the guy was old and that in itself could have been a huge factor in the whole scenario confused,tired, or just giving up!! I get tired of people only acting like every situation is just a complete DUH kinda choice or like everyone is just out for a free ride and that must be why this guy is now no longer on this earth its all his fault. So the power company did nothing wrong putting a limiter on his home?? WOW --Think of it this way you lose your job and your income hits the bottom would it be ok for a car company to have your brakes work for just a bit longer til you caught up on your payments and you find this out in traffic looking for a new job?? I think it is all of our responsiblilities to keep a eye out for each other someone needs some help or just a friend you do what you can when you can and as much as you can. I have tried myself to look after my elderly neighbors because when I was a kid we were fortunate enough to have a older neighbor that looked after us and we struggled alot but he always made time to stop and help us fix something not matter what it was he is gone now but I feel like its my turn to "pay it FWD" and thats what I have tried to do. I am not patting myself on the back but if we as a society could instill this back into our kids ect. we would be much better off instead of worrying about what we have and is it more and better than the Jone's. Our town has changed for the worse the last 20 yrs. people won't smile or wave back or hold a door open at least til they get through it first and in my opinion thats where the responsibility lies. That said I know theres alot of good people on here that still have those morales in them and at least thats good to know!! Just my 2 cents Take care

IMHO no power co. should be allowed to turn of electricity to anyones home in the dead of winter. Its not allowed in this state.

Yes, I faulted the power company. Policy SHOULD be that no cut off during winter months.

However I also agree a company is in business to make money. If it doesn't, it goes bankrupt.

Being your brother's keeper (or in this case, neighbor) is nice in theory. However, who of us really want nosey neighbors. Especially in the case of finances? Maybe I am a bit more of a "hermit" than most. I don't particularily like most people. I live in BFE, and only have a few neighbors. We wave at each other, and thats about it. Works good for me.

A theory that can be a reality without being nosey. Maybe I am a hopeless but to me there are still good neighbors that can be a close knit community without imposing there will or way of life on others live and let live kinda folks that don't judge you for being a "hermit" just take what they see and know as a fellow person that lives near them but at the end of the day are still available if you need a favor. I will admit it seems the older I get the more fleeting it seems to be but I have older neighbors that I am willing to give my number to and tell them if they need anything give me a call I won't bug them and I sure don't expect anything from them in return in my book they are all great people that I have much respect for and hope one day it will come back around for me and my family if we are in need of something and no I don't care about green paper. I have one neighbor that is and has always been very self sufficient and I suppose could be considered a bit of a hermit but if he needed me I would jump for him because I respect him for who he is and thats a guy that has made his own way a family man that has seen and learned more than I in his lifetime. I am hoping to raise my children to respect and help those that need it, to me its more than a theory it is a duty the American Indians had it right to make the elders the most important members of the tribe. Like I said maybe i'm hopeless and I am no saint but as a human being and a citizen of the United States I sure want this to be a strong country and I just don't think its going to get better unless we can rescue the good old values that were founded on values included in the good book and that is love thy neighbor. I know about business too I own one but if it comes down to green paper and/or a good deed well my bank account will suffer greatly!! To me the power company is a machine and thats dangerous, too many loopholes so big it overlooks very simple things like logic and compassion theres no judge to look at all the variables just a automated response to get to the ulitmate goal payment and profit. Maybe they did send the man information on programs ect. but has anyone really been around people that age?? I have, Can you imagine being that age did you know a simple U.T. infection can totally change their personality and mind. Well anyway at the end of it all like I mentioned before I know that alot of people know on this site what it is to put in a hard day of physical work and that alot of you have the deep seated morales that made this country great in the first place and that is refreshing!! I will not give up doing good deeds for nothing no matter what it costs we as a society in this country have a chance of redeeming ourselves with all the bad people I see I meet some really good old fashioned good folks and thats enough to keep me motivated!! The end irishcountry

Business the size of major utilities have all sorts of options to come out
on top. They could have left it on until it warmed up to life sustaining
temperatures and then shut it off and wrote it off on tax, as bad debt.
Fault is what we seem to seek and I do feel the utility needs repremmanded
for this tragic event. Fact is; if it were my father, as I live two states away
from him, there would have been two headlines resulting from this action.
I would be locked up and the manager would be covered up. Many people
here have brought up many different views and many that have merit but
I would have to agree with the op on this and the fact that America is
slipping into a muddy creek. I hope for all our sakes we can become the
nation our grandparents meant to build for us but until greed is negated
and the idea of profit is all that matters to corporations, I am affraid we
are doomed.

All utilities should have to contact the state department of social services before any utility is cut off.

The state department of social services then sends a representative to the house and do the required interview to determine if the occupant is mentally fit or not before services can be cut off.

In the meanwhile all unpaid utilities bills will be paid by the state government until a determination is made.

Well said!:agree2:

You nailed it Treeco I would have thought that it is protocol to do exactly that especially in the dead of winter!! I also agree with ropensaddle if this was a family member of mine and circumstances left me a long distance away i'd be fight'n mad!! Its funny that we can come up with some short term resolutions pretty easy ourselves but the power co. can't/won't???:dizzy: Anyway everyone have a good weekend and take care irishcountry

Very sad situation..

You guys said pretty much all that can be said, but I can't believe that they didn't contact the State and send a caseworker out to check the situation out like one guy mentioned. I know that they're in "business" to make money, but I'm sure that there were at least a few workers there thinking "this isn't right" and tried to state their case but to no avail. I wonder how those people feel now, knowing that it was wrong to do that and now the man is dead. Something could've been done to prevent this. My 93 year-old grandmother passed away earlier this month, and I can't imagine her being able to make a rational decision at that age and her state of mind. That was horrible to put it on that guy, no matter what the circumstances. Reminds me of the line in "Scrooge" when Marley's ghost says "Business? Mankind was our business"!

And also a few lines from my favorite group, John Kay and Steppenwolf:

"Business is business"

"Business is business, no matter how old, you don't pay your bill you freeze in the cold. Business is business, don't call me a snob, I don't make the rules just doin' my job".

"Mr. Penny Pincher"

"Mr. Penny Pincher, you're on a downhill grade; 'cause 'livin for the dollar is an account that's never paid".

:(

Sounds like we are on the same page seems to cost everday we are alive some of these elderly people worked their whole life and now with inflation ect. can't make ends meet. My wife mentioned she had seen a elderly man in the grocery line buying a cart half full of cat food and the young bagger said man you must have alot of cats! He didn't reply and like my wife said the cans were on sale that week for like .50cents and she is pretty certain they were for him not cats a cheap meal. It is sad alot of people that age are definately into the old school thinking of I will take care of myself and make my own way at all costs they don't like "programs" ect. and in some respects that is very commendable but I suppose theres a point where it can be just as wrong as someone freeloading off it. All and all very sad hopefully a day will come where morales mean more than dollars I hope to see it in my lifetime.

Back