Older stihl 044 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Lomond

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to the group....just picked up an older 044 with a 10 mm wrist pin...was running but piston and jug scored...waiting for a meteor kit but they seem to be on back order in US/Canada...found a 52 mm big bore kit for the 10 mm saw from sagenspezi (http://shop.saegenspezi.de/Zylinder-passend-fuer-Stihl-044-52mm-BigBore-10mm-Kolbenbolzen) product # 12782AR1750. Anyone had experience with these?...I'm getting impatient waiting for the meteor kit as the saw is in bits and it wants to run again so I'm tempted to try the 52 mm jug...or is it best to wait for the meteor 50 mm kit?

Jon..

ben.i would wait on the 50mm kit.but the cylinder you have can probably be cleaned of the transfer.then just pop in a meteor piston.
contact definative dave here on board.he may have some 10mm kits.

I wouldn't do a big bore kit on a 10mm wrist pin saw. The cranks in those have tiny big end rod bearings and there was a lot of trouble with those saws blowing out the rod bearings (which is the principal reason Stihl redesigned the crank and went to the 12mm wrist pin.) At one time in the dealership, I had about 30 10mm wrist pin cranks that had blown big end rod bearings. I also had about 18-20 early 066 cranks that had the flywheel side stub shaft sheared off.

Thank you for the feedback...I am in Canada, just filled out the info incorrectly...Jacob, so you would be wary about opening up the muffler too, just keep the saw standard? Jughead, the piston has exhaust port grooves, and I tried cleaning up the cylinder with HCl, but seems that the coating has worn off in places so would rather put in a new cylinder and piston. Dan, I may go with Hyway...I put one of those in my 310 a few years ago and is still going strong...

10-4.the hci is bad news.everyone has switched to sandpaper these days to save plating that can be saved.

I agree: ty
Rebuild your 044 back with 50mm parts/ I have used Hyway parts in several Stihl saws. So far, they seem to have proper quality and performance. I good stock 044 Stihl is one dependable saw.

Back