Once again...2150 turbo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Co3Da

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So got my sweet new bar and all that figured out but I am very unfamiliar with these saws (why I am here) does anyone's jonsered stop quick when you release the trigger. I also got a little metal on metal sound going on, very quiet but audible, not a grinding but I am guessing thats what makes it stop quick, does this on 3 different bars and chains, havent really investigated this yet but any ideas before I tear into this thing would be great, thanks guys. was thinking the way it stops like this may be a feature of these saws to avoid injury becuase it doesnt appear to be abusing anything, its not a rapid stop but it is rather quicker than the stihl's I used to use.

So, are you over tightening the chain?

Also, check to make sure the chains pitch matches the bar AND the rim on the saw.

Last edited:
Take the chain off and see if it still stops quick.Possibly wrong gauge chain Ex. .058 instead of .050?

Not that I would have done that before.:buttkick:

Actually thats what I was looking at the brake band if its too tight seems like it may be the cause but the pitch and everything are right on .325 .050 on 2 chains and .325 .058 on the third actually checked the chain for rubbing and didnt find it there and my original hunch was the brake band, i'll have to look more into that cuz I also just noticed its a little stiff putting the brake on.

Let me get this straight...

You are running the .050 chain on an .050 bar, and the .058 chain on an .058 bar, right? If you try to run .058 chain in an .050 bar I'm sure it would stop quickly, if it would turn at all. Running .050 chain in an .058 bar will be very sloppy, hard to control the cut, and frankly a bit dangerous.

Chain too tight seems the most likely cause, unless someone has been messing with the brake band or clutch drum. There shouldn't be anything else in there affecting the way the chain spins unless you have two bars with squeezed guide rails (both the .050 and the .058) that are grabbing the chain. I did have to spread the tip of the hard nose NOS bar for one if my SP125C's, evidently it got squeezed closed a bit as it was banging around over the years.

Mark

found the problem to be the plate under the sprocket seems to be pushed upward a tiny bit gotta take it off and see more but it seems possibly to be bent kinda hard to tell, I did find signs that the prior owner threw a chain possibly cousing the damage

Last edited:
I cant completely find what is rubbing but I know its the chain I just dont know on what. how bad would it be if I put thin washers on each side of the bar to pull it away from these metal plates to see if thats what it is? I am somewhat sure it is that plate underneath the sprocket rubbing it I just cant see it though.

I cant completely find what is rubbing but I know its the chain I just dont know on what. how bad would it be if I put thin washers on each side of the bar to pull it away from these metal plates to see if thats what it is? I am somewhat sure it is that plate underneath the sprocket rubbing it I just cant see it though.

That really isn't a good idea. Spacing the bar away from the bar guide also moves it away from the oil feed. It won't get oil to the bar and chain, and will pour oil out the bottom.

Just to do it to give it a spin and see if it rubs does anyone know if I can get the guide plates for this saw anywhere offhand, may try replacing them and see what happens.

so I messed with the guides and still have it, its acting as if the chain is tight even though its right on the money but showing the same symptoms of that, I was wondering what are the signs of a saw needing a sprocket replaced or a chain brake I have never had to do either or even know the signs but I cant seem to think that its something else, thanks for the help.

Check the inner and outer guide plates for the chain. Try taking the outer guide plate off, and see if it improves. Had the same thing on an 028S, had to tweak the outer guide plate as chain was getting pinched between the two when tightened.

Is it a sprocket nose bar?
Sounds like something is not matching.Like a 3/8 chain on a .325 bar or sprocket.Or vice versa.
Check all 3 and make sure they match.I had a supposed to be top notch dealer hand me a wrong setup once.

Found the chain binding between the sprocket and bar inside today I also found a type of sprocket I have never seen before. Its a 7 spur with grooves in the center of it all the way down and seems to kinda drive the chain more from the side, took it over to the neighbors and he has never seen that either. but It is clearly made or modidfied this way and not worn in like this couldnt believe it ( neither did he ) anyone ever seen or heard of nething like this before gonna get a new sprocket on it and that should fix it, someone has been tinkering on this saw.

Thats what I said but my neighbor said no cuz the chain wasnt worn but wow thats one worn out sprocket then, I just ordered the new one, thanks guys.

Back