Ontario Canada crown land harvesting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davie

Reaction score
hey Guys, I'm as new as new can be. I bought a Stihl MS362 and a 30" Alaskan Mill for small projects (large-ish cross cuts, table projects)... So here's my question, does anybody here know if there is a procedure to go through for going on Crown land and harvesting your own wood? I looked online and found the 5 year and 20 year property licenses but that is too steep. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. Is there another way to get your own wood? Other than knowing someone with property who is willing to let you take a tree?
I'm just a guy with a chainsaw who wants 1 or 2 trees per year.
Thanks for your help or if you can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it!

I can't speak at all to Canadian laws, but here in the PNW, most public land agencies sell timber in one way or another. Most often it will be sold as one of a few types: commercial timber sale, salvage sale, sanitation sale, firewood sale, or miscellaneous forest products. Commercial is exactly what it sounds like. Salvage and Sanitation are similar and sometimes coincident; they differ in that the former follows a major disturbance such as a fire, while the latter is aimed at containing an ongoing problem such as insects or disease. Firewood can be sold either commercially (usually scraps on the whole deck left over from one of the first three) or non-commercially, which is how the average homeowner can go collect a cord. Miscellaneous Forest Products generally include the oddball stuff like mushrooms or fern fiddleheads or shakebolts from old logs on the ground. If you're after a few board-feet for an Alaskan mill, you may be able to get it under a MFP permit, depending on the jurisdiction, but your best bet may be to buy it as "firewood". The land agencies generally don't care too much what you do with it once you buy it so long as you don't leave a mess behind. Availability is often hard to determine and needs a bit of ear-to-the-ground and networking. As always, your mileage may vary, and I advise that you do your homework first before cutting anything lest you find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

Latest posts

Back