Opinions on CS2165 please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orange fever

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My older son just bought a new CS2165. We ran it for 1 tank of gas today and it runs fine and was getting stronger already. Since we've only had 1 tank of gas through it I was considering trading it in for a CS2171 because I love mine. Do you all think the CS2165 will be satisfactory for a 20" bar or should he drop the other $125 and move up to the CS2171. The CS2171 is overkill with a 20" bar, but that HP is addicting.

I read some where that bailey's now has a big bore kit that fits the 2165 and 2171. I would just run the 2165 to death and then try the big bore kit. I saw the bb topic in the race saw section.

Same basic saw (underneath the red covers) as the Husky 365/372, so the Bailey's BB372 kit will work. Worth it to swap on a like-new saw that is under warranty? IMO probably not. If he could trade the 2165 + $125 for a new 2171... That makes lots more sense.

Same basic saw (underneath the red covers) as the Husky 365/372, so the Bailey's BB372 kit will work. Worth it to swap on a like-new saw that is under warranty? IMO probably not. If he could trade the 2165 + $125 for a new 2171... That makes lots more sense.

I agree, the 2165 sure is a good saw, but I wouldn't want most of the weight of the 2171, without the power.

My older son just bought a new CS2165. We ran it for 1 tank of gas today and it runs fine and was getting stronger already. Since we've only had 1 tank of gas through it I was considering trading it in for a CS2171 because I love mine. Do you all think the CS2165 will be satisfactory for a 20" bar or should he drop the other $125 and move up to the CS2171. The CS2171 is overkill with a 20" bar, but that HP is addicting.

A 20" bar is fine on that saw,,, I have a 365 husky with a modded muffler ++!! that I use for limbing & bucking up to 20" spars and I Run a 24" B/C with no problem,,,,,,:chainsaw:
if they wont make you the deal like what you want on your trade in,,, Run it,,,, Mod the muffler and sling chips!!!!! they are fine saws,,,,,,, when its time for a topend then put the bb kit on and go some more!!!!!!!!!!!:givebeer:

Last edited:
it all depends what you're cutting, i hear the 2165 develops more torque at lower rpms, which would be better for hardwood

That is mythology, or something like that - it doesn't....:greenchainsaw:

...but the low end torque is closer than the high end hp (and torque) - that is true...

I am pretty sure an Euro (German made) MS361 will beat the 2165 as well at the high end, but not at the low end, slight margin though.

Last edited:
Back