order for big posts couldnt belive the price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weisyboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
a bloke rang me on friday he is a shop fitter building a mexican restraunt.

the arcetect desighned it with huge "cabana structures" inside, free standing and purely for looks. they are to be made of rough sawn 12" x 12" x 10' posts and beams.

he wants a total of 154m of the stuff.

i did a ring around and the best price i can get is AU$228/linear metre (us$159.51):jawdrop: that makes it about au$31 000.

i cut a sample today an it took 20 mins to cut one peice. so say 30 mins to be safe.

log cost au$50
running cost on the mill au$10/hour
wadges for a tailor au$25/hour

so that is a cost of au$67.50 and a sale price of au$684 leaving a profit of $616.50:dizzy:.

i cannot justify charging that price.

how dose this compare to what you guys get?

the arcetect desighned it with huge "cabana structures" inside, free standing and purely for looks. they are to be made of rough sawn 12" x 12" x 10' posts and beams.

i did a ring around and the best price i can get is AU$228/linear metre (us$159.51):jawdrop: that makes it about au$31 000.

i cut a sample today an it took 20 mins to cut one peice. so say 30 mins to be safe.

log cost au$50

so that is a cost of au$67.50 and a sale price of au$684 leaving a profit of $616.50:dizzy:.

Sorta works this way:

Walmart:

Mfg. cost for a pair of blue jeans= 50¢
Selling price= $22.50
Profit=Worlds largest retail store.

Market price is market price. Go for it. Look at all the nice new chainsaws you can buy to satisfy your CAD affliction.

That's a huge profit! I wouldn't be afraid that I was charging too much if that's what the going rate is. You could make a nice profit and that is what business is. Someone is going to get it, why not you?

Wow. No way anybody would pay $500US for a ten foot 12x12 here.
Everything up to 16' is fairly cheap in USA, at least in yellow pine.

Edit: Silverbox's post makes a good point. Rough sawn oak for $4bft would be a great deal in 12x12 here, so the species matters. It also seems like you've got slower growing wood down there.

Last edited:
When put that way, it doesn't sound so bad, but still... One can get Douglas Fir 6X6 here for $2.00/LF in the middle of summer when the small mills are running. I realize that cost can go up exponentially as size goes up, but that still sounds really high. A 1000% profit? That's getting into gouging territory by my standards. But then again I don't know what kind of wood you're using, so it might be worth that.

log cost au$50

Sounds exactly like what I experience. I use a woodmizer and any time I seriously get on the mill I can easily cut about $1000/day net of my time and effort. The best part is most of the time I am using found wood from old logging, windfalls and wood that used to be burned. Don't really need the money, but its always nice to trade!

Back