Ordered a 562xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aus71383

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I'm a long time lurker - posted a few times I think.

I just moved back to my home state of WA and I'm on an acre - been out knocking down deadfalls and trying to clear out the woods a bit to make it more enjoyable for the kids etc..
I was using an ax and a hatchet, and borrowed my dad's chipper/shredder. My hands were sore one night at dinner from all the chopping - had a friend over and she said her grandpa had left a chainsaw in the garage and maybe I could borrow it.
It was a Pro Mac 605 - my first chainsaw (this was maybe a week ago). It was stored with fuel in it, so I got rid of that and put some 40:1 TruFuel in it and started pulling. The recoil/starter thing was a pain - sometimes it would rewind, sometimes not - or very slowly over several minutes. Anyways I got it to turn over and burble a bit, then it locked up tight. I figured it was the carb and so I got a kit and rebuilt it - got it all cleaned up and put back together. I went to start it and it sounded like success - but then the rope wouldn't rewind. I took the recoil starter thing out and rewound the rope - hoping to get a couple more pulls out of it at least. Nothing doing - it was trashed. So I'll be getting a replacement spring for it at some point - it's my project saw now, although I've never heard it run for more than 3 seconds. It has a 20" bar and a relatively new looking but dull chain. I could have done worse for the price - she said I could keep it since I'm putting all the work into it and it would have just sat in the garage otherwise.

So anyways - long story short: I still have all this work I'm doing out in the woods, and beating dead trees with an ax is a great way to get some branches to fall on you. Which is why I wanted to get the chainsaw going. My wife said I should just buy one - it's one of those things you just need, and if I don't buy it now I'll buy it later so why wait. She'll never know how much I paid for it - I don't even know yet. I thought about getting one of the Stihl 441 C-Ms - but decided saving a few hundred bucks and getting something smaller would be a good move. Then when I told her the saw I got is a nice reasonable size, she said later when we get more property and I need a bigger saw I will have 2. Perfect! Little does she know I might need an even bigger saw at some point for a chainsaw mill. But that is neither here nor there. The point is I drove down the street to my nearby Husqvarna dealer and said, "If I can get this spring thing out of this Mac starter recoil, do you think you'll be able to sell my a replacement spring for it? And also - I'd like to buy a 562xp with a 20" bar."

They offered me a 455, 460, 555, and 372 - all of which they had in stock. I said I could do the 555 - but I felt like I would always be thinking that I really wanted a 562. Either way I wanted auto tune, and didn't want to pay for a 576AT. So anyways, I ordered it. They insisted I get a 24" bar - which is fine. I'll get a 20" for it as well - just looked up prices and extra bars and chains are cheap! Great news.

I don't know what I'll pay for it yet - 7something I'm sure, probably close to 8hundred. We'll see. I tried not to bug them too much about the price. They are a small shop, and I had been in and out all week trying to find the right belt for the chipper/shredder so I sort of got to know the place a bit. So I don't want to gouge them or beg but I like to keep as much of my money as possible (while still getting what I want).

I think they said 4-6 days to get it in - this was a couple days ago, I think Tuesday morning was when I went in there and ordered it. I have to leave town on Monday for about 10 days, so hopefully it'll come in before then. The past couple days of working in the woods has me really looking forward to having a chainsaw - the whole axe and hatchet thing is getting old, and there are quite a few dead branches/trees that will be safer to deal with using a saw.

So - I'll be joining the saw owners club soon. And hopefully I won't have any questions, since it's an AutoTune.....and also hopefully, once I get the Mac running, it will be just the spring that needed replacing and nothing else will go wrong.....

In the meantime, I have enjoyed gleaning lots of knowledge from the wealth of knowledge here, so thanks!

Austin

If you're gonna pull a 24" a 372 was the better option and will flat out rip with a 20" bar. A 562 will serve you well i like mine but i didn't really need another 60cc saw with my 346xp modded.

I surely wouldn't want a 24" bar on a 562xp, but I assume it is OK in West coast softwoods - so it mainly is a balance issue. Getting a 20" bar as well is a good idea, but I would have gone shorter - I have a 16" on may 560xpg (that basically is the same saw, just with the small bar mount and a lower air filter, and halv a pound less) - and is considering if my long bar is going to be 18" or 20" - but each to their own!

You also should consider the light weight TechLite bars, that allegedly were made specially for the 562xp. They are only made in 20" and 28" so far though.

I may try to get one of those Tech-Lite's for the 20". I won't be burying the bar and felling any huge trees anytime soon - but I imagine having a little more reach will be handy. I don't feel bad about getting a 24" bar for it. Plenty of time to switch bars around etc... I don't even have the saw yet.

I knew about the 560 from reading around on here - same saw just different top cover/air filter and bar mount I think. Not available in the US so far.

It may be that the 24" bar and chain spend quite a bit of time in the garage - but that's ok. Once I "need" a bigger saw I'll be able to use them....or at least the chain, depending what brand of saw I end up getting.

I fell in love the first time I Tried a 562 XP, My 562 has some work done to it and it is a real sweet saw, I have a 18 In and a 20 In bar for it, I keep the 20 on it but don't think I would want to run anything bigger. I think you made a nice choice, and a tech lite bar would be a nice addition to it.

By the way they can pull a decent size bar,here is my saw 4 different bar sizes.

Husqvarna 562xp chainsaw pulling a 36" bar - YouTube

Husqvarna 562xp ported eight pin - YouTube

Husqvarna 562xp chainsaw ported - YouTube

Husqvarna 562XP chainsaw ported 28" - YouTube

Last edited:
Back